LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

VivekMukherjee (Research)     07 July 2011

Builder charging for additional area


I entered into an agreement with Builder / promoter for purchase of a Flat in Kolkata and the same was mortgaged with Bank for house loan

Now the builder is demanding an additional amount on the ground that actual area found in survery is more than the amount included in the agreement. My question

a) What documents I can ask for to verify the authenticity of claim

b) Do I need to have a separate agreement for this additional area if I am supposed to pay for it

Kind Regards




 4 Replies

Poornima D (Lawyer)     07 July 2011

Dear Client,generally in such agreement, there wil be a clause to address such issues of either increase or decrease in the area of the flat.

the answer to your first query is, you can go for either joint survey(in the presence of both you and the builder) of the flat or manual survey by your surveyor, to conclude at the exact extent of the flat. There are no legal documents except the aprroved plan from the concerned authority.

The answer to your second query is yes, you have to enter into supplimentary agreement, or addendum to the main agreement before you pay any extra money to the developer.




1 Like

VivekMukherjee (Research)     07 July 2011

Thank you very much Poornima. This clarifies my concern

Kind Regards


Bharatkumar (ADVOCATE )     08 July 2011

U make  a Articles of Agreement  / Sale Deed  as per plan pass copy of your scheme / building / flat and for right of use open speace u make a additional agreement with Builder / Owner /Developer. 

1 Like

VivekMukherjee (Research)     08 July 2011

Thank you very much Bharatkumar.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query