LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ramesh (wer)     05 June 2012

Blank cheques missing in bank

Dear Sir,

Five years before I submitted 10 blank cheques to a nationalised bank for loan  security purpose.,but forgotten to take it back.Cheques are bearing only my signature.Bank told me that they will fill the date amount and put bank seal in payees name column.I dont know whethre they have done it or not.

The cheques belong to my HDFC bank account which was closed two years back.

When i asked the nationalised bank for returning the cheques ,they made a search in their stores and came to know that they could not trace the cheques.I approached the nearest police station to complain the missing of cheques.The police people said since cheques are missing in the bank,bank has to give complaint.I could not lodeg the complaint.

The nationalised bank says that they will give me a letter regarding missing of cheques in the bank .

Is this letter sufficient to safeguard me in the worst event of cheques reaching the hands of third party and used for fradaulent purpose in future?

I am thinking of intimating HDFC bank with a copy of letter given to me by nationalised bank regarding the missing of cheques.


I fell I can only put a request to the  nationalised bank to lodge a police complaint,but It is upto the decision of the nationalised bank to lodge the complaint.I can not pressurise them to file a police complaint.


Please advise me.






 4 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Telangana state Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     05 June 2012

Yes. You can intimate the concerned bank manager in writing.  Rest of the things will lookafter by the bank. But acknowledge is a must to prove further action.

MohammedRaffiq Bijapur (Advocate)     05 June 2012

Ramesh to safeguard ur interest yes better take authenticated letter from the Nationalized bank and also intimate to ur Banker-HDFC regarding the missing of cheque.

Dear Immediately inform to Your bank and get receiving, Also inform to Police station for missing the said cheque. If possible publish a note in national news paper such as Amar Ujala News Papers. Also mention whats written on said cheque by your hand writing whats not. This will safe for you.

Prasun Chandra Das (Banker)     12 June 2012

Reamesh-- you are being paranoid. Even if the chqs fall in the wrong hands, nothing can happen because the HDFC a/c is already closed. For the sake of records, take a letter from the nationalised bank which should state that (1) blank, signed chqs were given by you for *** purpose, (2) the blank chqs were misplaced by the Bank and cannot be located. Better still, insist on the Bank to execute an indemnity bond saying that any losses that you may suffer due to the lost chqs, will be reimbursed by the Bank. Inform HDFC bank also for their records, though they can do nothing except filing your letter in some file since your a/c is closed. If you really want to lodge a police complaint, you can send a letter to the nearest police station. But I believe you should just take a letter from the nationalised bank and forget about the matter.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register