LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gundlapallis (Advocate)     10 November 2009

Advocates beware... Chittoor incident

This had been happening quite a long time... but came into light only last week.  An advocate's clerk in our bar who used to go to bank and remitt court fees given to him by advocates used to promptly return with payment counterfoils and the cases are being filed by advocates pasting the bank stamped counterfoils pasted on a sheet as proof of payment of court fees.

Yesterday it was found in the internal audit that the court fees a/c in court record is mismatching with the bank a/c balances.

On enquiry it was found that this particular advocate clerk.. who was used for bank remittences had found a new way to scam.  In the bank he obtains payment challan and fills it up with last three figures of the amount that had been given to him by the advocate.... eg., for payment of Rs.3,687 court fees he fills up the challan for the amount Rs.687 and pays that into the bank and later in the counterfoil (which is now stamped and signed by the bank clerk) he adds 3,  and Three thousand in words and gives it back to the advocate, pocketing that three thousand rupees and the advocate innocently file this challan counterfoil as proof of payment of court fees, into the court.

The investigation is continuing and so far, this scam by a single clerk beleived to have crossed few thousands of rupees affecting a number of OPs and OSs.

I post this as a caution to fellow members where the usual practice is identical to our place and who depend on clerks particularly for this type of work.   

Learning

10 Replies

Anish goyal (Advocate)     11 November 2009

Thanks a lot. But i think this is a repeated thread.

Sachin Bhatia (Advocate)     11 November 2009

Thanks Mr. Rao for sharing the incident with us.

Sarvesh Kumar Sharma Advocate (Advocacy)     11 November 2009

Thanks

Gundlapallis (Advocate)     12 November 2009

Yes Mr. Goyal... Earlier i posted this in General category but now i realise there is a categorised local forum for AP advocates and since this news is from AP i have posted this again for their benefit.

G V S Jagannadha Rao (-)     15 November 2009

Anyway, thanks for the info.

SATYANARAYANA K (Advocate)     05 December 2009

Thanks Mr. Venkata Rao, Good information to the Advocates.

prasad (advocate)     23 January 2010

How is the bank accepting the challan without the amount being written in words?

Gundlapallis (Advocate)     26 January 2010

Mr. Prasad : Say for 3,500 court fees, this fellow fills the challan form for Rs.500 and pays into the bank and later on receipt of counterfoil duly stamped by the bank for the amount received, he simply adds 3 before 500 both in figure and words and give it back to the advocate who entrusted him the job.  Since tha amount Rs.500 is also written in words the bank is accepting the challan.. got it now?

PJANARDHANA REDDY (ADVOCATE & DIRECTOR)     09 May 2010

ADV CLERKS ARE NOT PROPERLY PAID BY ADVOCATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????

vaidyanathan (retired psu employee)     10 April 2011

advocate clerks and court summon servers would be earning more than lawyer and the judges respectively which please note

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register