Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rahul (Trainee Quality Engineer)     18 October 2013

Service bond and work timings

Sir,

I am working in an I.T. company for last 5 months , joined it as fresher. I signed a bond of 2 years with security amount as 1.5 lakhs. The company didn't provided me any training, from the next day of my joining I was send to client's location to work. But now I want to leave the company as they are forcing me to work for more than 10 hours a day (9 hours as working hours were told to me at joining) and to work even on Saturaday regularly.  For first 3-4 months I have worked for 12-13 hours a day (sometimes 18 hours a day) even on Saturaday and Sunday both, I was told that it will be 5 day working with Saturday rarely. Moreover I was told that I will be given back the travel expense to client's location, but from last 2 months they are not completely giving that amount and are reducing it and giving. I want to leave the company because the work environment is affecting my health. Sir please help as I want to leave but I am not in a condition to pay the company the sum for bond breaking. Can I abscond the company, can any legal action be taken against me?

Learning

9 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     18 October 2013

Yes. Certainly company may take action on the ground of breach of contract. If any health problem is there take rest by keeping leaves.

But Sir, I found that bounded labour is not legal in India, also maximum work timing is 9 hours . Won't all these things go against the company ???

Sir, I found that bounded labour is illegal in India, also maximum work timings in 9 hours in India, won't all these things go against the company ??

Kumar Doab (FIN)     18 October 2013

Did you discuss the job you were to accept and did you show the documents you signed to elders in the family, competent and experienced well wishers, lawyer/law firm?

You have signed on the dotted line by your free will.

Who has stated that contracts/service agreements/bond are not legal..............................!!!

You are being treated unfairly but that is what happens to the employees that do not consult, are ill informed, ignorant, are willing to sign on anything for job, are desperate to get a job, are not members of any union that could guide them and support in need of hour……………………………….

IT companies are covered by Labor laws and have to register as per Shops and Commercials Establishments of the State……………….

Work Hours are 8 hours/day. Beyond 8 hours of work OT is to be paid. Claim for OT should be lodged in time. Lodge claim in writing and under acknowledgment.

There are provisions for OT, substituted holiday, compensatory off if employee is made to work on off days/holidays/national Holidays………………….

Lodge your claim.

If the company and its managers do not ask to do OT in writing the employee has to record calls, SMS, Chatting, attendance record etc and keep evidence. Employee should submit daily report and minutes of discussion asking for work beyond office hours.

NO company can make an employee work for 12 hours/day…………..

NO company can ask the employee to take leave from his leave balance after making him work for 12 hrs/day…………………….

First of all submit in writing the claim for OT date wise……………………and download record of work done by you, email that have time record etc……………..

If company refuses to pay in current pay cycle it shall be a matter on record.

You can lodge a complaint with Inspector in O/o Labor Commissioner, under Payment of Wages Act, Shops and Commercials Establishments……………………

The Bond/service agreement has to be in lieu of some extra ordinary favor by company, expense incurred by it some training that added to extra ordinary skills, qualification…………

If no such expense is incurred by company the claim on Bond/liquidated damages may not stand the test of law…………………………………

All said and done you should approach your labor consultant/service lawyer with copies of all of your docs, spend quality time with your lawyer, give inputs, and understand the merits and procceed under expert advice of your lawyer.

In the meantime go thru the attachments.

Attached File : 144484369 417759075 validity of employment bonds.pdf, 144484369 background paper.pdf downloaded: 152 times

@Kumar Doab, Sir the bond that I signed said that company can fire me at its will, but I cannot leave the company at my will before 2 years or else I have to pay. I found that this kind of bond is one sided bond and one sided bonds holds no value in front of law (through some post in this forum only). As far as OT is concerned, I was told at joining that no OT will be paid but, such timings will be there was not conveyed. 

Kumar Doab (FIN)     18 October 2013

You are in which state and HO, redg. office of company is in which state?

Is the location of your appointment stated in appointment letter different from location where you were posted? If yes company has to pay the relocation expenses.

Forget about what is being said, told by company to you or by you to company.

Verbal transactions are not written record.

Resort to written mode.

Submit claim of OT in writing. Submit claim for shifting to other location in writing under proper acknowledgement. Use redg. post. If you are sending email keep copies.

If you have written record that only will help you.

Let company refuse in writing. If anyone refuses verbally submit minutes from your side in writing.

Declinature to pay OT, coercion to work for 12 hours/day shall render the employer as unworthy of being employed with.

Before you separate you must build sufficient record in writing.

Use smart phone and  install software so that all calls get recorded without any voice beep.

Whatever this bond is:::: one sided or four sided, you have signed by your free will and company may resort to any thing e.g: ‘Legal Injury’……………….................You are hesitant to approach one lawyer; company must be keeping 10 lawyers on board.

The bond that you have signed must have been drafted by some lawyer/law firm and it would know which hot buttons are to be pressed.

Company can pull you by resorting to legal approach.

You need help of local lawyer so better approach your lawyer now and proceed under exert advice and build favorable record.

The lawyer that has seen all of your docs can advice you the best.

If you are seeking advise then follow it also.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     19 October 2013

agreed with M

Rahul (Trainee Quality Engineer)     19 October 2013

Thanks Sir, I will surely go and meet a local lawyer.... and this no OT thing is written in my joining letter.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     19 October 2013

Your matter does have merit. Approach your lawyer as ap.

Even if OT is not written in appointment letter look into the ( Name of your state) Shops and Commercial Establishments Act, Weekly Holidays Act, ( Name of your state)  National Festivals and Holidays Act  and look into clauses on Hours of work and you shall be guided to OT……………………..Double wages should be paid.

Lodge your claim for OT as ap.

For your reference extracts from Delhi Shops and Commercial Establishments Act are being given below. 

You may likewise look into Shops and Commercial Establishments Act of your state.

8. Employment of adults, hours of work.— No adult shall be employed or allowed to work about the business of an establishment for more than nine hours on any day or 48 hours in any week and the occupier shall fix the daily periods of work accordingly:

Provided that during any period of stock taking or making of accounts or any other purpose as may be prescribed, any adult employee may be allowed or required to work for more than the hours fixed in this section, but not exceeding 54 hours in any week subject to the conditions that the aggregate hours so worked shall not exceed 150 hours in a year:

Provided further that advance intimation of at least three days in this respect has been given in the prescribed manner to the Chief Inspector and that any person employed on overtime shall be entitled to remuneration for such overtime work at twice the rate of his normal remuneration calculated by the hour.

Explanation.—For  the  purpose  of  calculating  the  normal  hourly  wage  the  day  shall  be reckoned as consisting of eight hours.

(a) Mode for calculation of overtime wages

15. Opening and closing hours of shops and commercial establishments.—(

17. Period of rest (weekly holiday

18. Wages for the holiday

19. Time and conditions for payment of wages

21.  Claims  relating  to  wages.

22. Leave.

The register of employment and  wages is required to be kept in Form ‘G’ duly bound and pages serially numbered. Where, however, the opening and closing hours are ordinarily uniform, the employer may maintain such register in Form ‘H’ alongwith a separate register of wages and record of leave in Form ‘I’ but the entries relating to a particular date on which an employee if called  upon  earlier  or  detained  later  than  the  usual  working  hours  are  required  to  be  made immediately in the remarks column of Form ‘H’ before such early or late working commences. In the case of an establishment which is not required to observe a close day under section 16 of the Act, the occupier has to exhibit in a conspicuous place in his establishment a notice in Form ‘J’ specifying the day or days of the week on which his employees shall be given weekly holidays; the notice should be exhibited before the employees, to whom it relates, before they cease work on  the  Saturday  immediately  preceding  the first  week  during  which  it is  to  have  effect.  In  any register  or  record  which  an  employer  is  required  to  maintain,  the  entries  relating  to  any  day should be made on the mid-day of the following day provided that in the attendance register the entries  relating to  any  day  should  be made  on the  same  day. The  entries  in  respect  of  actual commencement  of  work  should  be  made  immediately  where  the  employee  has  been  called earlier than the hour at which he is ordinarily required to report.

All such registers and records are required to be exhibited at the place of work. Any notice required to be exhibited under the provisions of this section should be exhibited in such a manner that  it  can  be  readily  seen  and  read  by  any  person  whom  it  affects  and  should  be  renewed, whenever  it  becomes  defaced  or  otherwise  ceases  to  be  clearly  legible  and  such  registers, records and notices relating to any calendar year have to be preserved till the end of the following year.  This  section  also  requires  every  occupier  to  exhibit  in  his  establishment  another  notice showing  the  close  day,  the  daily  working  hours  and  usual  period of  the  rest,  interval fixed for employees in Form ‘K’; (Rule 14 and 14A of the Delhi Shops and Establishments Rules, 1954)

34.  Employer  to  furnish  letters  of  appointment  to  employees.—The  employer  shall furnish every employee with a letter of appointment. Such letters of appointment shall contain the following and such other particulars as may be prescribed, namely:—

(d)  the hours of work.

37. Powers and duties of the Inspector.

(b) Duties of the Inspector

(i)  that in dispensing with the services of an employee the provision of the Act and Rules have  been  complied  with  and  no  dues  payable  under  the  Act  or  Rules  have  been withheld;

Attached File : 358316179 delhi shops & establishments act, 1954.pdf downloaded: 130 times

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register