LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Akhil Malhotra (Financial Analyst)     21 July 2013

498a - passport renewal

I'm a NRI residing outside India and have a 498a case under Investigation and Domestic Violence case in court for which I've not yet recieved any Summons from court. My wife is misusing the law to extrort money by filing these cases with all false allegations. I went to get a Power of Attorney in the Indian Embassy and they asked for a copy of 498a complaint.

Now, I want to renew my Passport to get additional booklet pages + longer validity.

Since, Indian High commission is aware of a criminal complaint (498a) against me (they have the complaint copy) , do they have a right to :

1. Refuse to renew the passport stating that a Criminal case is pending (No chargesheet done yet but I'm not sure if the Investigating officer has informed the Passport authorities. No communication recieved from Passport authorities yet.

2. Renew the Passport for the same duration as the existing passport (even if applied for 10 years)

3. Renew the Passport for even a shorter duration (from the existing passport even if applied for 10 years)

4. Impound the Passport for the same reason.

5. I am trying to communicate to Police but since there is high corruption, I'm not sure if I have LOC in my name but does that have any impact?

OR they are bound to provide me a Passport as there is no chargesheet in the 498a (Criminal case) and Domestic Violence is a civil case in a family court and no summons recieved yet?

Please suggest!

Thanks in advance!

Akhil Malhotra

Learning

2 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     21 July 2013

what did Indian High Commission tell you.

Akhil Malhotra (Financial Analyst)     21 July 2013

I haven't been there yet but heard that Indian High Commission can impound the passport in some cases. Just trying to understand what could happen in my case.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register