LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

stanley (Freedom)     26 September 2012

20 % salary package for wife ..lol

The Indian Ministry of Woman and Child Development is mulling down the idea of allotting a portion of husband's income as salary to his wife. Not everyone agress that it's the most progressive of ideas.
According to a well-known Indian saying, the wife is in charge of the 'home ministry,' whereas the husband leads the 'finance ministry' at home. This is probably about to change now.
The Indian Ministry of Woman and Child Development has recently proposed the idea of reimbursing housewives for their efforts in performing the household chores.
Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath said that the step would empower the housewives. She told the media that if the proposal was approved by the central government, the ministry would formulate other schemes for housewives such as tax rebates to promote it.
Tirath said that the money given to housewives would be called an honorarium rather than a salary. But the most important thing, she said, was to show respect to the housewives' hard work.
Ranjana Kumari, director of the Centre for Social Research, a feminist tank, told DW that the proposal would actually make women's lives more difficult at home because "the husband might demand more services from his wife after paying the money to her."
Atit Rajapara, president of Men's Rights Association in India (MRA) also criticized the proposal. "The proposal is biased and will create an extra burden on husbands."

::Regressive or progressive, a debate::

The proposal is to empower Indian women financially
Minu Bhargava, a marketing professional in an IT company in India told DW, "I think such a proposal is regressive and this approach and, although looks like it's in the favor of women, it might not have the relevant consequences. It is like belittling the efforts of a woman, a homemaker."
She added, "As a nation, we have progressed in many ways and yet when it comes to saving a woman's dignity and self respect, we come up with fairly archaic and outdated suggestions to resolve the same."
Such issues should be dealt at a personal level by individuals, according to Bhargava, adding: "If government really wants to help financially insecure women, it should be through a systematic research of their lifestyles and needs."
The views of journalist Purnima Pandey, a single woman working with Life Positive magazine, are no different. "Instead of helping women to become independent and empowered it will make a woman more dependant and no-hoper," she said.
Pandey told DW, "It would be better if the policy makers sleep on the idea and to make implementable proposals and schemes for the social security of women at all level."
Experts think this proposal puts a question on the sanctity of a family, making it look like a business by quantifying the contribution of a homemaker.
Placing the very dynamics of a marriage under spotlight, Rajpara talks about the idea of an employer-employee relationship. "If the husband is going to pay he should have the right to keep a check on his wife's performance and audit it," He adds that wives will then be treated like maid servants and will be fired on non-performance. "

The dynamics of a husband-wife relationship might change with such a law
However Pragya Ramjiwaal, a financially independent homemaker says, "There are some stingy husbands who like to keep financial control in their hands. This ruling will definitely be a slap on their face."
Time to change the rule
Talking about female empowerment, Kumari told DW: "This will not make any difference to the family income as the same salary will be split into two. Rather the debate in the feminist movement is that the state itself should give recognition and value to the reproductive work done by women."
Rajapara, meanwhile, said the government wanted to caution people not to marry, by putting this additional burden on husbands - apparently as an indirect measure to control rising population.
He retorted: "Husbands will pay the part of their salary, provided the wife also equally contributes in paying off various bills, house rent or other expenses."
Before the proposal gets a legal sanction, it has to pass through recommendations both social and political.
Date 24.09.2012
Author Tanushree Sharma Sandhu

I was under the impression we are moving forward into the 21 st century but it seems they want to drive us back to the stone age . :) 

Learning

13 Replies

Ranee....... (NA)     26 September 2012

I also don't find it necessary.Because I believe in 100% salary  and repay him a nominal amount for his pocket money.Then devide it in different head of expenditure with consent of husband.

This 20% will create problems.

Why husband need to keep the 80% of the salary where wife runs the home practically?

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     26 September 2012

I welcome such announcements but with a monster caveat.

Welcome because Lawyers will get extra work when such cases gets filed on a/c of non-payment of 20% salary to housewife (it will be second biggest thing happening to Jr. level Advocates after what we see the heat of mass pending S. 138 cases is my view), Hon’ble SC down projected memory lane will sit to decide retrospective or prospective aspect of it (your mother is house-wife right or wrong and what is your average age today and when this law will come what will be your average age so it is obvious if your housewife mother files a case on your father it has to mean retrospective application of such Law is the only reasoning why SC has sit on it sooner than later
J), NGO’s will get more grants to put forward voice of pan India house-maids as no one else in generic represents house-maids and house-maids domestic contribution should also be recognized vis-à-vis a housewife.

The main argument put forth by the housewives for introduction of this proposed Bill is that in India 95% of women indulge in house-hold works after getting married but their services are going unrecognized and do not get any remuneration for their services, so they must be paid by the Husbands at least 20% of their salary, besides bearing all the expenditure for running the family from the rest of 80% of their salary.

First these are the question it raises the moment you talk to wide strata of general public in your vicinity;

1. Does this law means, wives have to be paid like domestic-maids for doing domestic chorus?

2. If the proposed Law is being made as recognition to the labourious services and remuneration for the house-hold works done by the wives, if in the place of wife, house-maid is discharging every day house-hold work, then how should the house-maid must be treated?

3. Should not the house-maid be treated on par with the wife, because house-maid is doing house-hold works?

4. If wife has to be paid like domestic maid, then how much has to be paid to her for s*xual services to her husband?

5. Is physical contact with wife to Husband is free of cost? If house hold services of wives are being paid then why not payment for having ‘s*xual relation’ with wife?

6. If the living conditions of poor and low middle class wives in the Indian villages and small towns are kept aside, how many women irrespective their educational, employment status are really doing domestic works in the urban areas and well developed towns, whose husbands are earning well?

7. Are really wives doing the house-hold works OR House maids doing house-hold works in urban areas?

8. In the houses where wife is not doing the house-hold work but domestic-maid is discharging house-hold work like cleaning utensils, washing all the cloths including wife’s husband’s cloths, brooming the open space around the home, cleaning bathrooms and toilets, taking their children to drop at schools, cooking food – in such state of affairs, whose role should be recognized by law as wife? – That of house-maid or wife?

9. Then why the domestic-maid should not also be recognized on par with the wife, as house-maid is doing the entire domestic chorus?

10. If 10 to 20% of husband’s salary goes to wife who does not do the domestic work at all, but makes the house-maid to do all the work, then who are legitimately entitled for that 10 or 20% of amount? The person who is doing domestic work or the wife who is just sitting in home eating food and not doing any work?

11. If 10 or 20% salary is deposited on wife’s name, what about the maintenance money to wife, if she deserts the husband and files a maintenance case on husband?

12. After this law coming into force, wife’s position would get consolidated and when salary going into the wife’s account regularly, and then if wife deserts the husband, then what about the fate of husband?

13. Will this law applies to the wives who desert their husbands and goes back to her parents, sit in their home to eat husband’s money without doing any work?

14. Will this law create new financial skirmishes between wives and husbands?

15. Like 498-A of Penal Code, half a dozen Maintenance laws, domestic violence laws, will this law also be misused by some wives down the line?

16. With the introduction of this law what could be the fate of children education, and other domestic expenditures for running the family in already bad state of Indian economy and sky-rocketing prices?

17. What could be the fate of old-aged parents and unemployed sisters and brothers of the husbands in joint families, if 10 to 20% of monthly salary has to be deposited in the wife’s name?

18. What about the fate of the husbands who do not get monthly income properly and who have loans around their head?

19. Had government done any surveys, and got any empirical datas to back its foot and mouth syndrome, how many wives are doing domestic chorus on their own and how many house-wives have hired domestic-maids to get their family’s domestic works done?

Can now husband after paying 10-20% salary to her account ask house-maid to leave domestic work in his home to curb un-necessary double expenses as 10-20% salary outflow will not include house-maids salary?

21. Is this Law backdoor entry on lines of Indonesian model where compulsorily 100% salary of all Government male workforce is deposited into his wife’s bank account? But there such law was created due to typical local social issue housewives of Government servant were facing,

22. Will Indian Government differentiate which husband pays and which goes scout free since lots of husbands are un-employed / student too and what will happen in such cases?

23. Suppose Husband offers all domestic help voluntarily inspite of his wife being a housewife, will Government still implement such laws on such husbands?. This would be the case where now lots of husbands are earning a income working from home.

Let us take just few openning warm-up healthy pot-shot on this announcement;

- a housewife makes only breakfast for a month yet lunch / dinner are made by house-maid and flip it she does laundry of her and children cloths and house-maid does laundry of his cloths so will husband be eligible for some Deduction at Source out of 10-20% monthly salary he is asked to give under this Law?

- What about keeoing records of paying 10-20% who will keep and in which format in 4 corners of a bedroom? Will it be based on opening Bank a/c under Rural banking scheme or Urban Banking schemes as both are slightly different as per RBI guidelines? What if it is in-cash it is paid and then wife later sues him in court that he never ever paid my housewife salary? What about Service Tax will it be in Open list or included in Negative list, if my iconic Mr. Tata is asked to compulsorily pay 10-20% of his salary is a case since now-a-days ordinary maintenance award is reaching into 50 K and beyond figures? Can husband deduct TDS if he pays also to the house-maid or only to housewife? Will Husband get any Tax rebate in his ITR on account of various revenue / expenditure / income heads?

Well it is a master stroke Orwellian announcement by State. In West from 70’s feminists were pushing for it, but “free lunch” has been stopped in West hence could never get implemented there but in
India the situation is always different as we call it.

This law is useful only to those poor housewives in villages whose husbands are regular drunkards who do not give money to wives, For urban areas living women this law should not be applied, because in urban areas almost in all houses there are house-maids to do household works, even your mommy do not do any work in home which you can check yourself calmly

Actually my heart goes for domestic-maids read with my house wife J Another reason I love such laws is that I for one is bored arguing same rut day in day out in Courts “hajoor itna jyada kamata hai kutch bhi shaadi ki pahali raat se aaz tak wife ko nahi diya iss adami ne sabh kutch domestic-maid ko deta hai pata nahi kyu L

The master stroke is good as soap of ruling party to attract both strata of women voters as GE 2014 is nearing.

It sounds absurd. It sounds like we are trying to make family look like business for work for even seeking s*x from wife since you are paying certain % of your income so you can jolyy well always demand its worth as return. There are hundreds of archaic divorce laws in India that need to be amended, which will empower women and help in gender equality. Well if you really want to empower women give them opportunities to get back into the work force instead of pervading Indian homes with more Laws. Spouse never takes permission from State to get married so why shall same Spouse be enthrusted with States biased long arms of Laws?.

When I joined LCI 2 years back this law is what I predicted will hit India very soon.

Nevertheless I welcome it, afterall we loved our “pocket money” did we not so if housewife is given pocket money I am sure she will also love it and fell happy about it is polite way to open up this debate
J

Credits:
Chaitanya
Ibid

stanley (Freedom)     26 September 2012

Wow Tajobs 

You have stirred up a  hornet's nest by raising the  points 1- 23 which in my life time i would never ever have imagined to think or raise .

vishak (manager)     26 September 2012

Well

In point no 4&5, it is not only husband who is enjoying the s.. but the women as well, hence not to be paid at all or be given importance for the same.

Rest very nicely explained

(Guest)

Raneee ... laalchi :-)

Amit (NA)     26 September 2012

I think we should also add a point as to who will bear the expenses for children education, marriage etc.

What about the expenses due to wife's illness? Can husband can get away from paying the bills?

What about expenses like gifts to wife during festivals etc? Is husband now totally immune from all such expenses?

Amit (NA)     26 September 2012

Also is the act retrospective in the sense that if a couple is married at the time of passing of the bill and after 10yrs wife files a case saying husband is not paying her then will the wife be given money for all the past 10yrs or will she be paid from then on a mothly basis?

Does this law apply to all citizens or only to Hindus?

If it's for muslims too, if a man has four wives will he have to give 20% to each?

Harassed Hunsband (prop)     26 September 2012

Donot marry, dont have kids........

We can now have chutta wife, pay salary for the months she stays with you.....  if you are not satisfied, relieve her from duties.....

And if she dosent want to be a chutta wife, then make prenupital agreements with all the details of agreements of salary for becoming a permanent wife ............ this agreement would settle the score equally.

this could be a good reason that husbands will now get into prenupital agreements and then can see what will be the situation in case of divorce for the girl he has seen to marry......

ATLEAST WE CAN HAVE REASON TO GET INTO PRENUPITAL AGREEMENT....... 

Ranee....... (NA)     30 September 2012

why husbands think themselves different from kids and wife?

stanley (Freedom)     01 October 2012

@ Rane can you elaborate the difference to get your answer ??

What is in the name ( )     03 October 2012

Such bills will ridicule the entire meaning of a marital relationship where each action between them or their house is to be categorized as service - pay to get services.......how much you pay, you will get the same level of service....bl**dy s..t.....is this contract marriage???

We literlally have jokers sitting over there in the ministries, mulling over such ideas, and another set of jokers passing such bills.......we are trying to answer the state of people that questions in medivial age or old stone age.

Today, our key focus should be to preserve the culture rather than slice it, dice it and build a rate-card for each service

Harassed Hunsband (prop)     03 October 2012

Law will be and is to some extent the very reason for such state for women, Women now has to be at par with men in every field in real sense.......

20 % salary package or the amount to be fixed with regards to work taken up by her in household is a good idea if all other laws of maintainence and safe guarding women are scrapped..... one salary to take care of everything forever....... the minute she leaves the home, salary should continue for maximum six months to one year, so for her to take up some job by then........ Kids can be the responsibility for father till he is 18.....

498 A fighter (Advocate)     03 October 2012

here on discussin over it people laugh and some suggest that it is good " instead of giving fully salary wives are restricted to 20% just give them 20% and rest is ours, already we are paying more that 20% to different servant think that wife here serving as sevant and also as...................................."

so it is good , these are the views of many people even riksha drivers , street hawker also said like that .

so this law is not going to help anymore to wives

here some one ask a question if wife is living with me then i have to give only 20%, and if she is not with me then i have to give even less? that is good .

if she claim for maintenace i will stuck my words i will live with anywhere either in my house or her house i dont want her to leave for that i am ready to pay 21% or more but the condition she not restrict me in anything then i give her 25% also. one man say yes i give just 20% and then its her responsibilty to take care of all the children in that , i had given the ammount what court ordered.

so these are the facts even low class people know this and finding the simplest way?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register