LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mritunjay Kumar Singh   09 February 2018

Wrongly accused in drinking case

Yesterday me and my two friends were in public place in Kolkata. Both of my friends were drinking but the police caught all of us even I was not drinking and they took us to police station and after signing into 2 papers and paying Rs 300 each we were released. I want to know whether it was right to arrest me even though I was innocent and what to do now as they told us it was a petty case but they didn't tell us to appear in court.

Learning

2 Replies

(Guest)

How do u define 'public place'?  A bar is a public place. So is a street. And if you were caught drinking in an unlicensed bar, you are in deep trouble.

Where were you caught drinking?

Further, did you actually read contents of document before signing? Do you even realize that if the document you signed was actually (i) one that mentions that you were voluntarily intoxicated or (ii) that you are required ' to be present in court as and when required', you could be in very serious trouble? Don't be so naive; police will never tell you when to appear in court. They will simply file a chargsheet against you under the State Prohibition Act. Eg. if you were caught in say Bombay, the Bombay Prohibition Act would be immediately invoked against you. Same for Delhi & other states. Drinking in public places is a very serious crime.

Don't think that just by letting you off, you are safe from legal recourse by police. Please contact a lawyer immediately. You could be in otherwise very serious trouble.

Regards

Advocate Kaybee

E-mail: basu_kunal@hotmail.com

Mritunjay Kumar Singh   09 February 2018

First document was about my name and place and second one was bail bond. The signatures were taken by the public persecutor which was there at police station and he told us that he will see the matter and said nothing about appearing before court. Public place means on street near a mall.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register