Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Wrongful termination

Page no : 2

Suhas   22 December 2015

Mr Kumar,

Thank you for the advices. Company is exempted from standing order as it deals only with the US, UK and Australian clients. We have been made to sign on appointment letter which says we are flexible to work in any shift and also extend.

Below highlighted is the reply i got from HR Manager.

Dear Suhas,

I have explained this to you earlier & so has our legal counsel Mr.(X).  We have terminated your services as per the Clause 13 of our appointment letter for the malpractice that you have indulged in.  There is no question of issuing a relieving letter as that is given only if an employee has had a clean exit.

Below highlighted is my reply,

As per the SCN, I was provisioned to give written explanation for allegedly violating the clauses 13 (c) (i) & (vii) and I was never told that I have allegedly violated the clause 13 (c) (ii). Why have you included the clause 13 (c) (ii) on termination letter with out giving me a show cause notice for the same? 

Question paper is candidate's property as well. You are liable to give me a copy of my L4 answer sheets which I requested from Mr (X) during the discussion on Nov 30th.I Request you to provide it to me.

I requested HR (X) to mention appropriate date on termination letter as Medical bills was not cleared. Why was i made to sign on a backdated termination document on 16th Dec?

I have signed on an agreement at your lawyer's office. You are liable to provide me a copy of it. I request you to provide me the same. 

I spoke to the same person over the phone. The person said, they were informed by the operation team that i was using my phone during my evaluation(I was not restricted to use the phone). After seeing my explanation they decided that they can include the clause 13 c (ii) for my act. Well, i was told that i have been given a show cause notice for capturing the question paper. Now the person said question paper is their intellectual property and it is their right to call anything as their intellectual property. I have been assured that i'll be getting a legal agreement which i signed at their lawyers office through register post(Agreement had all the clauses which are there on the appointment letter after termination especially that i should not work with their compitators for next 3 years). 
The person said making an employee sign on the backdated termination document is not an offense, i was asked to do so as i denied to accept termination on 30th Nov because of the outstanding medical bill and F&F due and also no clear explanation was given for termination. Isn't that an  offense?
Because if they had given termination document dated to 16/12 i would have surpassed the probationary completion date which is 11/12(completes my 6 months of probation). And clauses are entirely different if i complete 6 months of probationary period. 

Suhas   23 December 2015

Mr Kumar,

What is your opinion on backdated termination document when there is clear intention for terminating "At will" within the probationary period? 

They failed to give me a clear explanation on why they are terminating me on Nov 30th and also there was lot of things to clear related to medical bills and severance payment. I was asked to come to their lawyer's office on Dec 16th for the same reason. What should be termination date, Nov 30th or Dec 16th? 

My lawyer is not sure whether to show all the grounds for wrongful termination in the notice or not as they are going to be aware about all the proofs we have.(I also have proofs for clear discrimination related to evaluations which they conduct) Otherwise, a simple notice would'nt provoke them for a negotiation. Please advice.

I am equally worried to contest as i will not be able to join other organisation by concealing the terminated employment history until i win. If i try to explain everything to my potential employer, It puts them to a dilemma as to hire me or not despite of my good interview performance Because of suing my previous employerfrown    

Kumar Doab (FIN)     23 December 2015

Last Reply:

You have posted that:

---"it is their right to call anything as their intellectual property."

It is not so.This is just being arrogant.

You may minute it. Record all calls.You may if your counsel approaves attach the copy with your emails............or place before lawful authority/court of law.

The misconduct that is not  recorded in list of misconducts in standing orders/service conditions is not misconduct.

---"I have been assured that i'll be getting a legal agreement which i signed at their lawyers office through register post(Agreement had all the clauses which are there on the appointment letter after termination especially that i should not work with their compitators for next 3 years)."

You were under no obligation to sign on any agreement that you do not accept.

You should collected the copy on the spot.

The Inian courts of law have   consistently been declining to enforce Non Compete clauses/agreements as it hits the right to earn livelihood and Indian Contracts Act.

---"The person said making an employee sign on the backdated termination document is not an offense, "

You make remain firm on your stand that the letter was backdated.

---"Company is exempted from standing order as it deals only with the US, UK and Australian clients. "

The stae govt can excercise its power to exempt.

You have posted that you have confirmed that it was exempted.

However it prompted that you may check again.

---"What is your opinion on backdated termination document when there is clear intention for terminating "At will" within the probationary period? "

You have been termianted after SCN and the order is stigmatic.The inquiry seems to be Sham.Your lawyer needs to prove that it was Sham.

The records of your employer will always show misconduct and termination due to misconduct and it may continue to affect you.

If the matter remains unresolved for say 3 months you can staright away approach labor court (if your are covered by the def. of Workman, Inspector appointed under Shops  estbs Act if your are covered by the def. of Employee)

You are being guided by an Employment lawyer and your lawyer can confirm on it.

IF you are not coverd then you need to approach Civil Court and civil court may order to call back termination if and only if you are able to convince on the merits..........................otherwise your claim should be for damages.

Your company is likely to fight tooth and nail to claim that your are not covered by the def. of Employee/workman................................and contarct of personal service can not be enforced in court of law and provisions of  Specific Relief Act.

Online discussions have its won limitations and your petition can not be written in this thread.

Beyond this if your are looking for second oipinion , you should identify an able counsel and go for consultation.

Best Wishes.

1 Like

Suhas   23 December 2015

Mr Kumar,

Thank you so much for your support and suggestions.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register