Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rajendra (nil)     13 June 2014

Writ petition in person by a layman

Right to Information Act

1]     I filed an application u/s 6(1) of RTI Act seeking certified copies of certain information to CPIO (Central Public Information Officer of a Public Authority)

2]     The CPIO rejected the application asking to get the information from website.

3]     I filed a complaint u/s 18 and 20 of RTI Act to Central Information Commission.  In the complaint I mentioned that the same CPIO was earlier directed by the CIC in some other case that certified copies must be supplied even if information is available on the internet.

4]    The CIC held in his order that certified copies should have been supplied but did not order the CPIO to supply the certified copies as it was complaint u/s 18 and not second appeal u/s 19 and dismissed the complaint on the ground CPIO had not deifed any specific order of CIC.

5]     I have decided to file a wp in person against the CIC order on the following grounds

a)     The CIC held in his order that information should have been supplied.  Thus, contravention of section 18 has been judicially established.

b)     Once it is established that section 18 has been contravened sec 20(1) manadates that CIC shall impose the penalty.

My question is

Section 20(1) says that if CIC is of the opinion that CPIO contravenes section 18 without reasonable cause then it shall impose penalty.

In this case CIC simply says information should have been provided.  It does not say section 18 has been contravened without any reasonable cause.

So can the HC say that CIC cannot be compelled to impose penalty invoking sec 20(1) on the ground that CIC order does not specifically mention that sec 18 has been contravened without any reasonable cause?

If so, can I counter argue that since CIC does not specifically say that information was denied with a reasonable cause it must be presumed that information was denied without any reasonable cause?

Learning

6 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     14 June 2014

File A WRIT immediately. and see the consequences of the case.

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     14 June 2014

Have u filed an appeal to the first Appellate Authority? If so u can file writ as party in person.

Rajendra (nil)     14 June 2014

Originally posted by : Isaac Gabriel

Have u filed an appeal to the first Appellate Authority? If so u can file writ as party in person.

Yes I have and no reply from First Appellate Authority.

But i would like to know whether it is essential to file first appeal before filing WP?  If so, for what reason.

Most importantly I would like to have some supportive material regarding last point I raised in my original post.

Rajendra (nil)     14 June 2014

What I want is some case law or some statutory provision or some reference from a standard law book in support of my claim that when a specific precondition for non invocation of a provision of a statute is not proclaimed in an order the adverse inference must hold good and due to that adverse inference the invocation of that statutory provision must be done.

And such a case law may be in some other context that means may not be related to RTI Act.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     15 June 2014

For citation you may have to browse indiankanoon.org or any other relevant web site.

Rajendra (nil)     16 June 2014

Originally posted by : T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate

For citation you may have to browse indiankanoon.org or any other relevant web site.

I do agree.

But what should be the proper search terms or search criterion?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register