LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

dhruv (other)     28 August 2013

Wife's salary towards household expenses

My wife has expectation that whatever money she earns from her job as lecturer in college, she does not want to spend it at all but keep saving. She expects that I should meet all household expenses.

I have been taking care of all household expenses so far, but after she filed fir and dv against me, I do not want to do so anymore but expect her to contribute from her income equally. i.e. 50/50. This is because I do not want to stash money to again file a false case against me later. I will take care of anything and everything beyond that since the expenses will be definitely be more than double her salary.

the mediator is also taking her side on this point in the mediation thru my RCR case.

A) MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: Is my wife's standpoint legally right?

B) what counter argument can I give?

Learning

6 Replies

(Guest)
Originally posted by : dhruv

My wife has expectation that whatever money she earns from her job as lecturer in college, she does not want to spend it at all but keep saving. She expects that I should meet all household expenses.

Such things run on basis of common understanding between husband and wife.

I have been taking care of all household expenses so far, but after she filed fir and dv against me, I do not want to do so anymore but expect her to contribute from her income equally. i.e. 50/50.

If she has filed DV against you then no point in expecting a 50/50 share toward expenditure.

This is because I do not want to stash money to again file a false case against me later. I will take care of anything and everything beyond that since the expenses will be definitely be more than double her salary.

TO live together in harmony there should be understanding.  To part ways via divorce, there too be need of understanding.  So understanding is main need here.  How well your wife understands you, how well you understand your wife will form the basis of survival of mariage.

the mediator is also taking her side on this point in the mediation thru my RCR case.

If you are calling her back and telling her share expenditure 50 50 from now on, then you are doing something illegal.

Asking money from wife amounts to asking dowry, which is a punishable offence.

If you both do not gel together, then its better you part ways, as conditions you put or she put in court of law wont help unite hearts.

Try different method called as love n affection method, here to you cannot force her to love you.  All depends on compatibility.  

TRy to convince her.  Or just move out of mariage via divorce MCD.

A) MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: Is my wife's standpoint legally right?

Legally you cannot ask wife to pay money for house ka kharcha.  Legally you cannot ask even a rupee from her.  You ask, you go sit in jail.

B) what counter argument can I give?

Nothing.

It reminds me of one recent case.

Husband not so good financially, marriage is a 6 year old one.

He was in need of money to pay fees for dotters school.

Which was 10k.

Now what happnd is, husband felt shy to ask wife to take help from her brother who is financially sound and well off.   So what he did is, he asked his mom to ask his wife to get some money from her brother that we will pay later.

Now wife goes to bro, asks money.  Bro is legal man [kourt kacheri police station]  Immediately he goes to PS and files dowry case against sisters MIL.

My fellow advocate who was handling case had told 1000 times dont tell in box when tehy ask that you asked money to your DILto bring from brother.

Ab hua yeh.

Gita pe kasam jo khilvaadi, poor lady is 68.  In box, she is standing opposite party lawyer asks, maaji aapne gita pe kasam khai he, bhagwan aapko dekraha he, jhoot mat bolna.

toh budiya ne sach boldi ki dus hajaar rupiya laane boli.

Bas case khatam.  Now budiya in jail 5 year term.

Moral:  Never ask money from DIL, never ask money from wife.  Come what may. 

1 Like

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     28 August 2013

it is good that she is saving and not making any wastage of that amount 

1 yes

2. if she is wasting that money and if you have proof then you can show in your arguments 

dhruv (other)     28 August 2013

Sounds very unfair that wife can keep on stashing all money and later on file false cases at will and separate later on.

I dont understand it because of the following logic:

- if wife is earning then time she should be spending taking care of husband, children and kids is used in her job. so husband, home and kids suffer.

- husband has to still pay extra for servant (because wife is working) and other misc stuff......

I dont get it.... what section of law is this? what is the advantage then to marry a working wife?

I am really keen to understand this.

Hitesh Gupta (Assistant Manager)     28 August 2013

Hi i had a same story which every body has. I got maried on 28/5/11 as per hindu rituals and on 31st march 2013 she left my home since she wanted to take divorce because she was not adjusting with the me amd my family members and wanted to dominate me and my family members and thus i had filed divorce petion and send her summon in july 2013 and in return of which my wife had filed fir against me and my family members  under ipc 498A, 406 504, 323,312, and Dowry Prohibition Act section 3,4 & 7  just to harrass us. Now i need guidence as to how can i protect my self and family members against all this false allegations.   Though i had seen many conversations w.r.t 482 and getting anticipatory bail.  

(Guest)
Originally posted by : dhruv

Sounds very unfair that wife can keep on stashing all money and later on file false cases at will and separate later on.

I dont understand it because of the following logic:

- if wife is earning then time she should be spending taking care of husband, children and kids is used in her job. so husband, home and kids suffer.

- husband has to still pay extra for servant (because wife is working) and other misc stuff......

I dont get it.... what section of law is this? what is the advantage then to marry a working wife?

I will try to give an answer to your last question in bold.

Actually at 62 I really do not see any major difference between a guy wanting to marry a girl who is a working woman or a girl who just wants to be a homemaker.  Both have their own troubles.  But here the law itself has become the troublemaker via the wife.  With laws like these, if one marrys a working woman, the husband will suffer in pain like you do, but on the other hand if a guy marries a homemaker then he is at double the loss, neither the woman works but in turn there is a high possibliity of her filing false cases against husband and in-laws.

Nothing to worry too much about.  Your life or any other male's life is at stake these days.  Patiences wearing thin among the opposite s*x, laws favoring the fairer s*x, some more new laws in the pipeline, one should just pray that one's wife does not get her mind corrupted come what may and the intentions should be to lead a marital life and none else.  Only then the male will feel safe.  

Main culpirt is the older generation who have failed to pass on values to their girl childs and thanks to the growing economy who just nailed the last nail in the coffin called as marriage.  God save you, god save the Indian male.

I am really keen to understand this.

To understand this, it need time.  Say next 5-6 years would have seen the light what Goutam Buddha saw under peepal tree.

stanley (Freedom)     30 August 2013

@ Author 

When she has filed a Dv case what are the reliefs she has asked for . 

1. Is it maintanence for her self ?. 

Than as she is a able bodied working women she will not get any maintanence as per the legal point of view when it comes to court .

2. if you have a child or children ?

Than maintanence is co-extensive and the two of you have to contribute towards the expenses of the children legally . 

Now as i presume that the case is in court than contest the same !! you have to draw a line and decide if you want to continue with the relation ship or end it .

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register