IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Abhinaya (Assistant manager)     29 October 2010

Wife Defending Divorce case

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post in this website.My husband has filed divorce case against me.I wonder if I can defend and are there any cases where wife defended  and case got dismissed and judge did not give divorce.I am trying to convince him but no positive reply from his side.




 6 Replies

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     29 October 2010

Engage a good local lawyer and defend the case. During the case also the court will make attempts for reconciliation and may send you both for councellor. Don't worry he'll have to prove the ground for divorce on which he relies, you defend the case properly.

Arka Foundation ( A D R)     30 October 2010

go ahead  this is a matrimonal issue,

moreover in a  family court you can defend your own case


all the best

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     30 October 2010

On what grounds your husand has filed a divorce petition?  I f you have got good defenses contest the case.

Jamai Of Law (propra)     30 October 2010

In india, there is statistic about duration of the divorce cases as follows:


If husband files the divorce case, then it takes a longer time more or less....around 7-8 years

If wife files the divorce case, then it takes a little shorter time more or less....around 2-3 years


Divorce is granted only on merits of the case. Hence statistic won't help. But many cases filed by either side have been dismissed. Some of them have been dismissed in upper courts also.


But when a spouse climbs the doorsteps of the court, more or less it is a writing on the wall unless something works out during councelling or initial period of the hearing.


Otherwise it is a 'bargain' only. Merits of the case, overall married life span, issues/kids out of marriage, age, types of allegations...................it is endless


Better the lawyer, better the bargain.  


There is no law to save marriages.


Only 'culture' can address the 'grey' areas. Law talks about 'black or white'.



I want to legal notice draft for section 420 in Indian Penal Code

laxminarayana (Advocate)     13 November 2010

send your mail id ,i shall  forward legal notice ( draft )IPC420 to your mail id.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query