Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     04 September 2011

Wife can seek maintenance on behalf of major child-bombay hc

Wife can seek maintenance on behalf of major child: Bombay HC

•  

MUMBAI: The Bombay high court has held that an estranged wife can seek maintenance from her husband for and on behalf of her major daughter or son so long as the child is dependent on her.

"A daughter may have attained majority but so long as she is unmarried and dependent on mother, she is entitled to maintenance from her father's earnings," ruled Justice A M Khanwilkar and Justice R Y Ganoo.

The ruling was delivered on August 26 on an appeal filed by Vijaykumar Chawla, a businessman, against a family court order which ordered him to pay Rs 40,000 per month to his daughter, Shraddha, who was staying with her mother and undergoing a pilot's training course.

• Shraddha had obtained a loan for the course and was obliged to pay Rs 40,000 per month EMI towards the same. The court ordered the appellant to deduct Rs eight lakh already paid to his daughter for education expenses and pay the remaining amount of loan taken by her to pursue her career.

According to the provisions of Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act, a child can claim maintenance from his father or mother so long as he or she is minor. However, section 20(3) is an exception which obligates a person to maintain his or her daughter who is unmarried and unable to maintain herself out of her earnings or property, the bench ruled.

"In the present case, it is not in dispute that Shraddha is residing with her mother. She is unmarried. Her mother has no earnings or other property except the income by way of meager salary earned by her. She is thus not in a position to take the burden of education expenditure of her daughter which is quite substantial for undergoing the professional course," the bench observed.

https://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-09-01/mumbai/29952924_1_claim-maintenance-shraddha-bombay-hc

Learning

4 Replies

SURESH KUMAR PATRA (ADVOCATE MEDIATOR & TAX CONSULTANT)     04 September 2011

The Bombay High Court has rightly pronounced the aforesaid  verdict in accordance with law.

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     30 September 2011

thanks for paste this judgement here it is very knowledgeable

(Guest)
HI ROSHINI YOUR POST IS ALWAYS QUITE COLOURFUL AND ATTRACTIVE. I ALSO WANT TO FORMAT MY TEXT BEFORE POSTING. I'M NOT ABLE TO DO THIS. FORMATTING TOOLBAR IS NOT THERE. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME IN THIS REGARD.

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     30 September 2011

Actually the title should be - WIFE CAN CLAIM MAINTENANCE FOR MAJOR FEMALE CHILD.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

harassed.by.498a@gmail.com

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register