Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Why not pay a president and a master shoe maker equally ?

Here is a story,first time I came to know by Osho, presently copied from Mr.Gurunarayn Rao's contribution (With thanx).

On his first day in office, as President Abraham Lincoln entered to give his inaugural address speech, one man stood up. He was a rich aristocrat. He said, “Mr. Lincoln, You should not forget that Your father used to make shoes for my family.” And the whole senate laughed. They thought they had made a fool of Lincoln.

But certain people are made of a totally different mettle.

Lincoln looked at the man directly in the eye and said, “Sir, i know that my father used to make shoes for Your family, and there will be many others here, because he made shoes the way nobody else can. He was a creator. His shoes were not just shoes; he poured his whole soul into them.

I want to ask You, have You got any complaint? Because I know how to make shoes myself. If You have any complaint i can make You another pair of shoes.

But as far as i know, nobody has ever complained about my father’s shoes. He was a genius, a great creator and i am proud of my father”.

The whole senate was struck dumb. They could not understand what kind of man Abraham Lincoln was.

He was proud because his father did his job so well that not even a single complaint had ever been heard.

Mine query is why a master shoe maker,gutter cleaner,Garbage cleaner is paid so meager as compared to a good technician,lawyers or doctor etc.?

Of course, every body is not a good technician,lawyer or doctor but it is also true that every body can not/would never be ready to do the work of garbage cleaning,gutter clearing,shoe making etc.

And to be good at such works is not something wonderful ?

If yes,why pay them so low and why pay just white collar jobs so high ?

Learning

13 Replies

Baskaran Kanakasabai (entrepreneur)     16 July 2010

It is basically a matter of demand and supply.

It is  also because of the justification of the society at large as to how much to pay for each job. The juistification changes from time to time  along with other social changes.

The presence or absence of legislation in favour or against  remuneration of specific jobs also causes huge discrepancies.

Sometimes lack of social activism in favour of upliftment of status of living or remuneration of such class of workers or absence of an organised platform for such people to voice their grievances also results in a scenario where  such people get sidelined or uncared for leading to huge differences in the remuneration of various classes of workers for a long time till suitable revisions are implemented.

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     16 July 2010

Do not worry the day is not far, supply will go down and demand will grow and probably by that time machines will do such kind of work. Presently this discrimination is due to our social structure. Once our first PM J L Nehru was adressing the conference of "Dalit Samaj", he said ":what u have done and doing even god can not do that, in real sence u r god". After listening this one "Dalit" comented, " our turn is over and now it is your turn to be god"

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     17 July 2010

Dear lady,

Master shoe maker,gutter cleaner,Garbage cleaner do not have a Parliament of their own to raise their salaries just as our Parliamentarians do with regular frequency.

1 Like

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     17 July 2010

Anil sir, Madhuji is not lady rather he is a "LEDA". his real name is Mr. Tushar.

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     17 July 2010

Originally posted by :madhu
" Mine query is why a master shoe maker,gutter cleaner,Garbage cleaner is paid so meager as compared to a good technician,lawyers or doctor etc.?

Of course, every body is not a good technician,lawyer or doctor but it is also true that every body can not/would never be ready to do the work of garbage cleaning,gutter clearing,shoe making etc.

And to be good at such works is not something wonderful ?

If yes,why pay them so low and why pay just white collar jobs so high ?

"

To : Mr. Madhu  alias  tushar-comic

I strongly suggest you to do the GOOD WORK  of  "Garbage Cleaning  & Gutter Clearing"  for a year or so,  to personally experience the  "WONDERFUL GOOD  AT  SUCH  WORK  feeling".

Regarding your other question of   "Mine query is why a master shoe maker,gutter cleaner,Garbage cleaner is paid so meager as compared to a good technician,lawyers or doctor etc.?"

I have reproduced the following real-time  incident in a Story Format, so that even a small ignorant child too will understand the logic behind such questions.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal

REAL TIME INCIDENT IN A STORY format :

The Minister and the Peon

ONE day, a king of Travancore overheard his peon mutter to himself, 'This is an unjust age. I who work all day long am paid seven rupees per month whereas the minister who rolls about in motor cars and idles the whole time is paid two thousand rupees per month. What injustice!'

The king wanted to show the peon the injustice of his remarks. Just then, he saw a palanquin in the distance and asked the peon to go and enquire who it was who was travelling in the palanquin. The peon went running and came back and said: 'It is Sankaracharya.'

'Of which Mutt?' asked the king.

The peon went running again and came back panting and said,  'Of Sringeri Mutt.'

'Where is His Holiness coming from?' asked the king.

Again ran the peon and came back and said, 'From Shencottah.'

'Where does he go to?' asked the king.

The peon took another trip and came back and said, 'The Holiness is going to Kaladi.'

'Is His Holiness going to stop here' asked the king.

Again ran the peon and came back and said, 'Yes.'

'For how long?' asked the king.

The peon had another exhausting run and came back tired and said 'For a day.'

'Where does he intend to stop?' asked the king.

The exhausted peon again ran to the palanquin which was going further and further and came back and said, 'In the Mutt attached to the temple.'

'Will His Holiness be able to see me?' asked the king.

The peon had an even more exhausting journey and came back and said, 'Yes.'

'When?' asked the king.

Again, the peon dragged his weary body to the palanquin which was now nearing the Mutt and came and said, 'At 3 p.m.' and fell down in a heap utterly exhausted even in the presence of the king.

The king sent for his minister, who had not witnessed any of the above incidents, and asked him to go and enquire who had come in a palanquin that morning.

The minister returned in half an hour and in the presence of the peon told the king,   'Sire, it is the Sankaracharya of Sringeri Mutt His Holiness came from Shencottah and is going to Kaladi. He will be stopping at the local Mutt for a day and will be able to see Your Highness at 3 p.m. to-day. If possible, His Holiness will also conduct the service at the temple this evening.'

'You see,' said the king turning to the peon, 'what took you nine weary journies and five hours has taken the minister only half an hour and one single journey. Now you see the reason why you are paid only seven rupees and he two thousand rupees.'

The peon stood confounded with shame.

Do all peons and ministers used to be like that as u have described? What about the peon who does his job with perfection? I think u have not understood the essence of the posting. Ur reply is like as usual?

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     17 July 2010

In my experience, I have found that some peons are more intelligent than the crop of Ministers.

(Guest)

Ashutosh ji,

Your first posting just after Mr. Baskaran is MARVELLOUS

i think Mr. Madhu is satified with your findings.  I am just witnessed with this fact.

Thanks Samudreji for your compliment.

What do we need is social reform? A submissive approach.

Sri Auroubindo a great social reformer had once said

The primary requisite for national progress, national reform, is the habit of free and healthy national thought

"Our actual enemy is not any force exterior to ourselves, but our own crying weaknesses, our cowardice, our selfishness, our hypocrisy, our purblind sentimentalism"

1 Like

SS (VP)     19 July 2010

May I reproduce a comic strip I had read,

A cardio surgeon once goes to a garage to have his car tuned up a bit.  He waits there and the car-mechanic pretendsnot to notice him and get on with his job on another car.  He opens up the engine, removes the piston and the valves that would take him half an hour at that. He is indeed a master in his job.

He then walks to the surgeon and says to him rather sarcastically.  " Doctor, I open up and engine, replace  the valves, change the engine lining, and reassembles the engine to make it smoother and run longer that before"

The surgeon nodded in agreement acknowledging a great technician.

The mechanic continues "I suppose you are also and expert doing this with a human heart. I do not understand that when we do a similar job, why am I paid pretty far less than what you get paid"

The surgeon replied " My friend try doing what you do when the engine is running"

I suppose the difference is not what one does. It is in how one thinks.

1 Like

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     20 July 2010

AUSHUTOSH JI HAVE YOU CHECKED IN DEAPTH?

LADY OR LADA?

......HA         ..........HA            ............HA

MR MADHU JI,

PERSONALLY I HAVE NO PROBLEM - IF YOU WANT TO PAY EQUALLY.

SEND PRESIDENT'S PAYMENT TO PRESIDENT AND A MASTER SHOE MAKER'S PAYMENT TO ME.

WHEN ARE YOU SENDING IT TO ME SIR?

THANKS MADHU JI FOR THE UNKNOWN STORY OF MR LINKON.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register