LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

NewDefendant (None)     22 July 2010

What if Defendant cannot attend Court?

If a Defendant lives overseas and cannot attend court hearings then will that be held against him/her?

I have no relatives who can attend on my behalf either and do not want to impose upon my friends either.

What is the alternative for the Defendant in this case? Can the Defendant do a self examination or answer whatever questions the judge/Plaintiff's lawyer has, in writing/affidavit?

Also, I know this is a long shot but is it possible to for one party to attend a  court hearing by video conferencing - say by skype?! 

Thank you.






 6 Replies



You can submit your defence in writing to the hon'ble court and send it through by post. The video conferncing system is not permitted in the normal course of proceedings you have to prove that you are unable to attend the examination and if court agree he can appoint such a person on behalf of court  to complete the proceedings.

Note your non appearence before the court will harm you and proceedings may continue as ex partee against you.

It is advisable to appoint a lawyer through your frnd who will lookafter on your behalf and communicate all the proceedings and line of action.

1 Like

DEFENSE ADVOCATE.-firmaction@g (POWER OF DEFENSE IS IMMENSE )     25 August 2010

Non attendence of defendent no permitted, you have to appoint and advocate for day today matters but still for hearing you have to come otherwise it will be treated as you have no defense and suit will be decided against you. Take care.

1 Like

NewDefendant (None)     26 August 2010

I have a lawyer to attend the hearing.  But I am unable to attend court in person due to my health and also I live in London, so impossible to come there each time.

YOGESHWAR. (ADVOCATE HIGH COURT-criminal /civil     26 August 2010

Yes your advocate can do but for evidence you have to come, pl send synopsis of your case by email we will suggest  you some methods to come out of this problem. properact@gmailccom

NewDefendant (None)     28 August 2010

Thank you. I will be giving my son the authority to attend court matters on my behalf  and he will be visiting delhi as and when required.

nitish neilesh sanga (lawyer)     29 August 2010

non appearence of  defendant resulting into exparte proceeding against u.....however u can set aside the ex parte order........kindly engage the good civil litigation lawyer.....follow his advices....ur lawyer can file the writtenstatement on behalf of u ....but at the stage of evidence as a ur personal appearence is necessary for giving evidence on oath.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query