Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sanjeev pawar (service)     16 May 2012

What are the advantages if parents disown married son

Dear members,

i would like to know, what are the advantages if my own parents, disown me legally. i am about to file for a divorce case, and i have been thinking over this point, though i really dont know the technical points here, however i want to know if my parents disown me, can this be of any advantage to me or my parents?

Learning

6 Replies

HK_Jain... (498a Fighter)     16 May 2012

I on same boat..

Dear experts

Please enlighten.....

R K........ (Analyst)     16 May 2012

Good question... Experts please answer

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     16 May 2012

Actually there is no legal provision to disown a son. But it can be done by giving notice to the world that the parents are no longer keeping any relation with their son.  In matrimonial cases it may work in sometimes, such as where a daughter-in-law files a 498A case on the husband and his parents,  the act of  disowning the son may be used to show that the parents have not been keeping any relations with the son, so how they could have illtreated the daughter in law or how they could have instigated him to ill treat her.. however, how much it will help, all depends upon facts and circumstances of every case and when that act of disowning was done. Also if the parents claim to have disowned their son, then the son is estopped from saying that he has to support his parents which is a usual defence of a man to reduce the quantum of maintainance...

Anjuru Chandra Sekhar (Advocate )     16 May 2012

YOur parents should file a petition under Senior Citizens Act, 2007 that you have not been taking care of them and whatever means of income they have are insufficient for them to maintain themselves.  If father is a pensioner, means of income adequate to sustain family, you can at least save your mother. But you see, as the saying goes, you should always approach the court with clean hands.

Ranee....... (NA)     16 May 2012

apt reply by Archanaji.

Rajeev Bhushan (article)     13 September 2014

Whether disowned by parents in case of death of son will help from wrong litigation by daughter in law .

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register