Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Arnab Chatterjee   05 November 2016

Want to get relieved immediately

Dear Seniors,

I left my last organization on 30th September and joined a new one on 03rd October. Due to some unbearable loss of my loved one I would like to take a break from my job. I want atleast a month's time to get over it. Currently I'm in no position to continue work and want to get relieved immediately.
On 07th of November, 2016 I'm planning to put down my papers and want to get relieved on that day itself. I have just completed one month and on probation as per the appointment letter. Except a 3 days training no such training has been done so far. I have joined as a junior level manager though nobody reports to me.
I'm ready to buy out my notice period and whatever cost the company has incurred towards giving me the training. But all I want is to get relieved.
Please don't assume that I have anything to hide or I have another job opportunity in hand. There is nothing as such. Only a break is required to get over it.
I have only two questions:
1. There is nothing written as "payment in lieu off", only "company is entitled to recover" is mentioned. So if I'm ready to pay my 1 month basic will the company relieve me and give me the relieving letter? and I need it because I have an unblemished career of 7 yrs. So I believe when I have worked for them I have a right to get a letter. Please tell me how to get a one.
2. Can company force me to serve the notice period even if I'm ready to buy out it immediately.
3. I have already submitted my expense statement last to last week, will the company pay me in FnF settlement.
The clauses in my appointment letter say:
6. PROBATION:
You will be on probation for a period of six months from the date of joining. During this period of
employment, the company reserves the right to terminate your service with immediate effect and without
assigning any reason thereof. You will continue to be on probation till your services are confirmed in writing
by the company.
7. NOTICE PERIOD:
You shall give clear one month’s notice in writing in case you desire to leave our employment. If you fail to
do so, the Company shall be entitled to recover an amount equivalent to one month’s basic salary.

Please guide me how can I get relieved. It would be of great help if somebody tells me the steps to be followed

Thanks

Learning

10 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     05 November 2016

While posting such queries employee should always post basic information;

What is this establishment; Commercial, Industrial?

What is its line of business?

How many persons are employed in it?

Does standing order apply in your case; Model/Standing?

What is your designation and nature of duties?

Do you have any power to sanction (Not just recommend) leave/increment/appoint/terminate/appraise/grant OT etc etc…………..

Can anyone change/cancel your recommendations?

How many persons report to you?

You are in which state?

Your service is under probation or confirmed?

For how many months you have been working?

What is the notice period tendered by you?

What is the notice period as per appointment letter?

Has your resignation been accepted? Did you get reply?

Have you been getting salary slips?

What was your monthly salary with break up?

Are you a member of employee's/trade unions?
Have you consulted a very able counsel specializing in Labor/Service matters?

If yes what is his opinion?

Dear Sir,

I have already mentioned the answers of some of your questions in the first post itself. However I shall write it down point to point so that you can help me out.

What is this establishment; Commercial, Industrial? 
No Idea, They are into manufacturing of machineries. US based company. Indian registered office is in Mumbai.
What is its line of business?
Already Mentioned
How many persons are employed in it?
In India more than 500 employees
Does standing order apply in your case; Model/Standing?

Don't know what is Model or Standing Order

What is your designation and nature of duties?
Related to Sales and Product Management
Do you have any power to sanction (Not just recommend) leave/increment/appoint/terminate/appraise/grant OT etc etc…………..

Nothing as such

Can anyone change/cancel your recommendations?

I don't know

How many persons report to you?

None whatsoever

You are in which state?
Kolkata, West Bengal
Your service is under probation or confirmed?

Probation

For how many months you have been working?

Only 1 Month

What is the notice period tendered by you?

Notice period is not given yet, planning to give on 07th November and want to buy out notice pay immediately if it's possible as per the appointment letter

What is the notice period as per appointment letter?
1 Month
Has your resignation been accepted? Did you get reply?

Not resigned yet

Have you been getting salary slips?

Only 1st Month completed, received salary, but not the salary slip yet

What was your monthly salary with break up?

Salary was around 70K out of which 24k is the basic, rest are different allowances
Are you a member of employee's/trade unions? 

No
Have you consulted a very able counsel specializing in Labor/Service matters?
No
If yes what is his opinion?

If this clearifies then kindly guide me as to how to get relieved.

Does company have an office at  West Bengal?

Your div/office; Sales/Product Mangement/ office in  West Bengal might be registered/covered by Shops & Estbs Act.

You might also be covered by the def. of 'Employee' as in the Act.

If yes then the enactment Shops & Estbs Act that was enacted to govern the service conditions of employees in establishments covered by the Act  shall prevail upon T&C inserted in any private agreement/rule/policy drafted by employer and signed with employee e.g; appointment letter,HR policy,servie rules etc etc.....

The notice period as per the Act for length of service of 30days shuld be NIL.

Look into West Bengal Shops & Estbs Act.

e.g; Bombay Shops & Estbs Act;Sec66..............

Moreover the Act lay down notice period for employer and not employee.

Even by Considering equitable discretions; The notice period as per the Act for length of service of 30days shuld be NIL.

You might also be covered by the def. of  'Workman' as in ID Act.

ID Act does not lay down liability of notice period on employee/workman.

The model standing orders;Sec13; during probation period notice period is NIL.

Clause on Probation: Employer has made explicit mention of right to terminate without assigning reason. Contract of employment should promote equitable discretion.

Clause on Notice Period: Employer has made explicit mention of notice period and  pay @ basic for employee without explicit mention of probation period.

Read with clause on probation Period it may get termed as after probation period.

Neverthless; tender some reasonable notice say;7days.............................and make a mention of ( reason; death) clauses and ask to acknowledge the notice of resignation, supply acceptance of notice and resignation, correct FnF statement ( computing everything e.g; wages, notice pay recovery etc), FnF wages, service certificate, relieving letter (with good comments), Form16, NOC/NDC, handover of charge, PF number and a/s slip etc .........on LWD.

Also mention to whom you should handover the charge within LWD under proepr acknowledgment on the spot.

Also mention that NO tassk are pending at your end and routine duties be assigned that can be completed on day to day basis within and upto LWD.

Apply your skills and get relieved.

In case of issues NOW or later approach a very able counsel specializing in Labor/Service matters and unions.

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments. Actually the reason is Death. And a death of someone which lead me to such a condition that I will no longer be able to concentrate on work. So I was thinking if I give a notice of 2 days. I mean on 07th I will put down my papers and on 08th evening I want to get relieved.

There are some company belongings that I have like laptop, mobile, dongle etc. Please also let me know if they deny my resignation what should I do or if they do not want to take the company belongings, what should I do then. Please guide me how should I properly handover the company belongings. After going through the appointment letter I didn't understand why there was no clause of payment in lieu of. Should I mention in the draft that I'm ready to pay one month's basic salary as per the appointment letter?

And last but not the least if they do not accept my resignation or if they do not relieve me what else to be done from my side because I also would like to have all proper documents with me for any future reference.

The suggestion of draft of your representation has been made.

Let them supply you FnF statement and claim as per it.

In case of issues NOW or later approach a very able counsel specializing in Labor/Service matters and unions.

Rest is upto you.

Thank you very much.

I'll update and seek your help on 07th if I face any trouble.

In case you are apprehending any issues, that you have not disclosed in the thread, keep your counsel and unions by your side before you tender resignation, and consult them, in person, before you resign..

Arnab Chatterjee   06 November 2016

Dear sir, No, there is nothing that I am hiding. But I have a question, is it possible or legal for the employer to ask me a death proof say death certificate to validate my claim and accept my resignation if I resign stating reason death.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     07 November 2016

Resignation can be without permission or notice.

The employee hasseparated the employer-employee relationship the moment employee hasresigned.

However it is always better to tender some notice for handover of charge/assets/tasks etc and exit formalities.

Employer by its own choice may ask you to send copy.

Rest is upto you.

Keep your counsel and unions by your side before you tender resignation, and consult them, in person, before you resign..

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register