New LIVE Course: Learn the Practical Nuances of IPR Drafting by Adv. Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

bhuvaneswaran rajendran   23 July 2020

vechile registration was not done by the dealership even after 1 year of vechile purchase

Hi ,
I bought a vechile in Bangalore as I moved from Hyderabad paid full amount and got the vechile delivered on July 2019 till today July 23 2020 they didn't do the registration, when I try to go to them and ask about this they are ignoring and telling many stories, how can o get this thing done due to covid am struck in my home town and not able to follow up , what will be the appropriate legal action for this. am not using the vechile at all it's stranded in Bangalore home. please help to sort this.


 3 Replies

Rajesh Hazra (Mediator and Legal Counsel )     23 July 2020

Did you disclose to your dealer that you want a change of STATE for your purchased vehicle? 

Get the dealer to give you the contact for their office at Hyderabad or at least to help you with the documentation for chance of state.?

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     24 July 2020

1. Buy the car
2. The dealer must give you these papers:
- Sale certificate - Form 21
- Form 19
- Road worthiness certificate - Form 22
- Details of the dealer should be present on these forms
- Temporary registration (If buying from a different city, the temp. reg. is valid for 30 days. Do check the validity otherwise you will be fined.)
3. Insure the car and carry a copy of the papers
4. Get Form 14 from the RTO, take it to the Auditors (Non-trade) department and get them to assess the tax. Around 14% but varies on the price bracket of the car's purchase amount. Get them to use the form to write out the amount for you.
5. Make a DD payable to 'RTO Bangalore' for the above amount.
6. Log on to Transport Department (rto.kar.nic. in) > Online applications > Register a new vehicle. Complete the form and submit. This generates a VOW id and a Form 20. Navigate back to the online application section and print out the completed Form 20.
7. If you've taken a loan, print 2 copies of the Form 20 and get it signed and stamped by your bank.
8. Documents to carry:
- Self attested copies of:
- Passport
- Driving License
- PAN card
- Address proof: Electricity bill, phone bill, above documents if the address is the same. If renting, carry the rental agreement also.
- Documents from 1, 2, 4, 5.
- Form 20 (2 copies if using a car loan)
- 3 passport sized photographs
- A self addressed medium sized envelope with a 20 Rs. postage stamp. The RTO will use this to mail your RC card when it's ready.
- A folder to put these in. The RTO prefers a certain kind of folder as I found out, which is easily available for 10-20 Rs in any of the nearby shops.

9. Arrive by noon or before. Go to room 11 in the non-trade car registration section and get someone to check your documents.
10. Proceed to the tax payment counter and hand over the DD. In addition, 400-600 Rs. are charged for other fees. The payment counter shuts by 2pm every day, strangely enough, so get there with enough time to spare.
11. Show it to the inspections desk where they will check and rearrange your documents appropriately
12. Go downstairs to the new car inspections officer desk. Ask around for the exact location.
13. They will take a print of the car's chassis number on your Form 20 and sign that form. No payment is required here. I've heard that they ask for 200-300 Rs as a bribe but I wasn't asked for it.
14. Take the form back to Room 11 and submit. They should stamp your tax paid receipt with your new car registration number. Sometimes, its done the same day or the next day.
15. Take the documents and the tax paid receipt with your new car number to a license plate shop and get your new plates made!
16. Wait for the RC smart card to come in the mail in 30-60 days. Till then, carry the ownership/sale papers and the tax paid receipt + car number stamp in the glove box.

Hope this helps someone.

{Balu manikantan} SUBRAMANYAM (Practising Advocate)     26 July 2020

If they fail to do registration follow the procedure as explained by advocate rama chary rachakonda. burt once reconfirm will the rta office register the vehicle purchased from other states as the state taxes comes into picture at the time of registration.

If the show room personell does not cooperate give a notice and file a complaint in the district consumer forum and seek damages. you may regularly service the vehicle and it will not vitiate the case. Also complain to the vehicle  manufacturer who has control over the vehicle dealership about the issue. you will be succssful.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register