1. Once you filed the RCR, the copy of petition will be sent to respondent (your friend's wife) with the date this petition is taken for hearing by Hon'ble court.
2. Respondent and petitionnaire has to appear in front of the hon'ble judge on the date, if any one not appearing it wil be postponed to another date
3. As a first step, hon'ble judge will direct both petitioner and respondent to court counselling
4. Counselling might go for 3 to 4 times (approx 4 months)
5. Based on the counselling, judge will hear from both side and provide advice to both side
6. Based on the acceptance of both side, RCR will be granted (most cases, it will be granted)
7. But within a year time, respondent can file a petition to set aside the RCR coming out with new reason and he/she might need more time
The above procedure will take atleast 6-8 months, if both parties are present. If either of one absent, just add no of absent into no of adjournment. Your advocate can request court to provide the short date after 1 or 2 counselling is over. This is my personal experience.