Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Muralidharan (Self Employed)     31 March 2011

Title of Immovable Property

31st March 2011

Dear Forum Members

I am raising my query for and on behalf of my friend "X"

"X" acquired a small piece of land near Chennai, He had paid the entire consideration and the sale deed has been registered in his favour. "X" is a married person survived by his wife and a 17 year old daughter.

"Y" is a friend of above "X". Mr.Y is in construction contract business and he had suffered some losses. "Y" was in need of some money and he approached a individual financier for loan. The financier agreed to give the loan provided "Y" provides some security. Towards security for the loan borrowed by "Y", the land document of Mr.X was delivered / deposited with the financier. It appears that Mr.X (owner of the land) has also signed some papers with the financier.

Mr.Y (borrower) has not serviced the loan properly and had defaulted in payment of interest and repayment of  principal to the financier. Now Mr.Y is also not traceable.

Unexpectedly Mr.X had died yesterday (30.03.2011). Before dying Mr.X had informed about this transaction to his wife and daughter who are unware of this issue all along these days. The lady is a house wife and daughter has just written her plus two exams. Mr.X is the sole bread winner of the family who was in service of a small private company. The family is now left in dark.

My query in this connection is what will happen to the propery owned by Mr.X, the documents (sale deed) of which is available with the financier. Whether the title to the property will automatically devolve to the wife of Mr.X. Can the financier claim the title to the property just because he is having the title deeds with him. What are the legal aspects of this issue.

I request the forum member lawyers to answer my query.

with regards

Muralidharan

Learning

4 Replies

A V Vishal (Advocate)     31 March 2011

It is unclear as to what documents were signed and delivered to the financier. Assuming that the deceased stood as a surety to the transaction , the financier has the option to move aginst the LR's of the deceased and also can obtain a decree to possess the land and make good the loss. Only after perusing the papers it will be possible to advise properly.

Advocate B. M. (Advocate)     31 March 2011

I agree with Adv. Vishal.  It appears that the land was mortgaged to the financier. and If  Y has vanished,

the financier can use his lien on the land and make good his loss.  However all documents will 

have to be properly perused by a legal mind in order to give proper advice.

AAK (Advocate)     31 March 2011

I too agree with Mr. B.M and Vishal.

narinder shukla (practice)     01 April 2011

dear Friend

i also agree with all respected advocates, without the papers it is not possible to acertain the liability towards the financier on the part of the deceased person

Dr.naridner Shukla

Advocate

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register