LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Antonio (Manager)     21 January 2014

Tenancy - rent agreement

5 years ago I rented a house. I had paid 2 months advance (refundable deposit - 1 month's by cheque and 1 month's by cash) which the rent agreement clearly displays (I have a scanned copy of the agreement emailed to me by the landlord himself). The first agreement for 11 months was never renewed by owner. The rent has been increased at the rate of 10% every year and I have been paying the rent regularly (by cheque). Please note that the rent is as per fair rental value in the area. Now the owner wants to renew the rent agreement and argues that I had paid only 1 month’s rent as advance deposit and he wants the new agreement to show the same. It’s a loss for me. Can he go back on a signed agreement? (Rs. 50 stamp paper).  I feel he is trying to pressurize me to vacate the place, but by using wrong tactics. I have older parents; besides I cant afford such a loss or afford a new rented property with higher rent and deposit. Please advise what can I do. Thanks in advance. Also note that all these 5 years I have spent money on fittings and fixtures which were never reimbursed by the owner. He never did any kind of maintenance in the house himself (none at all) and kept postponing.  

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register