LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

RK   19 June 2016

Suggestions requested

I kindly request the help of experienced lawyers in this forum. I am staying abroad. My wife is living with his parents and separated from me for last two years. Recently, she filed complaint in mahila thana about dowry against my parents and myselfand my parents were asked to travel to faridabad from punjab. My wife put unsubstantiated allegations against myself and my parents on first visit to mahila thana. I had sent permanent residency (PR) papers to my wife so that she and my son can join me. On second visit to mahila thana, my father showed all the PR to SHO, then, my wife told, she does not want to go abroad and live with me. Later on, we came to know that my wife is asking for monthly maintenance fee for herself and my son. Through a mediator, we mentioned that we can provide lump sum but not monthly. However, my wife did not agree and still kept his view on monthly maintenance.

Now, my wife reported complaint to police chownki in faridabad. Police called and talk to my mother  and mentioned about the allegations that she is putting on me and my parents and ask them to come to faridabd. Later in the evening, police called again and mentioned that my wife is probably lying and asked us to settle down the matter. My parents are very old and not in a good health condition to travel there.

I want my wife to stop doing all this in a legal way. Unfortunately, we have not got a copy of complaint from mahila thana. For the safety of my parents, what can be done? Please suggest.

Sincerely

RK

Learning

2 Replies

KS Johal   19 June 2016

My suggestion is that you write to the mahila thana and ask for a copy of the complaint. Try to settle the matter if you do not intend to pay monthly maintanance or try to renegotiate a final lump sum settlement. Either you need to do this via phone (that's if she is on talking terms with you) or via someone else who both of you have faith in the way they will settle the matter. If you are pursuing via legal means then you need to inform her that your parents have nothing to do with dowry alligations since both of you have been separated for approximately 2 years. You also need to emphasise that she have living with her parents. The other question you need to raise is: why has it taken her 2 years to ask for maintenance? If you have not given her any money (for 2 years), how has she managed for the last 2 years? I hope this helps.

P. Venu (Advocate)     20 June 2016

You can obtain a copy of the complaint under RTI. You may also bring to the matters to the notice of the SP of the District.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register