LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manjunath   01 October 2018

Sue a contractor

Hi there, There is a contractor for woodwork. The situation is my Mom paid him deposit/advance by cash of Rs.2,000 . It's been over a year and regardless of many calls to and fro, he postpones the work and never bothers to come on any day (i do have mobile call recordings).He is well known in our locality and has a home there. What I want to know is - can I sue him for the maximum amount and what is maximum punishment that can be meted out to him through eyes of law?

Learning

3 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     01 October 2018

It is left to you to either follow for Rs.2,000/- through filing complaint before District Consumer Forum to spend ten times more amount of money, time and peace of mind for recovery of petty amount, subjecting your mother for more inconvenience at her age.

Treat it as lost money and forget about such loss to have peaceful time.

Contact District Consumer Forum and file a complaint against the Contractor for deficienc of service and argue in person with less than Rs.500/- in total expenditure and attend adjournments and you may get justice after one year.

P. Venu (Advocate)     01 October 2018

Given the small amount of money involved, this may not be an action worth pursuing. You have option to appraoch the adalats conducted by the local Legal Services Authority.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     01 October 2018

Remember that LSA can only help litigants through PLC only when the other party agrees to compromise and not when the other party is not interested.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register