Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mehak cehal (law student)     15 May 2012

Stolen car

Hi,

I want to query two questions. When a car has been stolen and that was used for commerical purpose but if Insurance company have no evidance whether the owner is entitled or not for any claim. and secondly is it neccessary to transfer the r.c on the name of insurance company before getting any claim assurance.  

Learning

9 Replies

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     15 May 2012

It is not necessary transfer the car in the name of the ins., co.., To claim the compenation police complaint and FIR is necessary.

Ranee....... (NA)     15 May 2012

yes, file FIR and with police replrt and FIR copy contact your insurance agent./office.

S Jadhav 98336 98330 (Jadhav & Associates)     15 May 2012

Please mention which company has provided you the insurance cover and the type of insurance cover. Private companies have put terms and conditions in certain policies to safeguard themselves from certain claims which may be paid by the government insurance companies.e..g when you buy a new vehicle, many car/two wheeler company showrooms and sales persons say that they have a tie up with some private insurance company and they quote you a rate. Please do not go to private companies that they suggest as they have a tie up, the cost of such insurance is high and the terms are unfavourable to the customer. In my personal experience for a third party insurance cover that I took on a new vehicle from the government insurance company was about 18% cheaper with. Disadvatage was that i had to go too the government insurance company to obtain th ecover myself since the "paid" sales persons only wanted to serve the insurance company and not the customer.

S Jadhav

Mehak cehal (law student)     18 May 2012

Thanks for reply.

I want to ask you one another question that the insurance agent required some documents for verification. He wanted the photocopy of keys of the vehicle and that was given to him. Is that requirment of keys is right or wrong? 

S Jadhav 98336 98330 (Jadhav & Associates)     18 May 2012

The requirement of giving the photocopy of the keys is wrong. The photocopy may be misused.

Please talk to the senior person from the insurance company. If they insist please take a letter signed by the authorised signatory of the insurance company. This letyter may be useful for you to file a complaint with the IRDA - Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority so that they can clarify this issue for all insurance companies and policy holders/customers.

Please give the name of the insurance company who has asked you to give the photocopy of the keys. It may be helpful to all the viewers.

S Jadhav

Mehak cehal (law student)     22 May 2012

Thanks for information.

Unitied India Insurance company required keys of stolen vehicle & I mistakenly given him the photocopy of the keys.

V R SHROFF (Sr. ADVOCATE Bombay High Court Mob: 9892432152)     24 May 2012

When you claim car is stolen, certainly keys are with you, and the demand is justified, and a acid test of your statyement of stolen car. 

S Jadhav 98336 98330 (Jadhav & Associates)     25 May 2012

Yes Mr. Shroff has stated rightly. They may even ask for both the sets of keys. However, you may have lost one or both sets depending on your case.

S Jadhav

S Jadhav 98336 98330 (Jadhav & Associates)     25 May 2012

Yes Mr. Shroff has stated rightly. They may even ask for both the sets of keys. However, you may have lost one or both sets depending on your case.

S Jadhav

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register