LCI Learning
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Virtual Legal Assistant (.)     15 November 2023

Solid waste management rules delhi

As per the Solid Waste Management Rules Delhi, the management of our society has installed a Dustbin, right in front of my house, for composting of bio degradable waste. 

Because of the odour I can't stand in my balcony and there is an enormous increase in flies and bigs in the environment. 

What are my legal remedies experts? 


 3 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     15 November 2023

You can give a complaint to the concerned local civic body about it and request for shifting the dust bin to some other place. 

If they don't take any action or don't respond then you can decide about legal course of action in furtherance. 

P. Venu (Advocate)     18 November 2023

Have you brought the inconvenience to the the notice of the Society management?

LCI Thought Leader Rajesh Tandon ( Col (Retd))     19 February 2024

It is unfortunate  that you're experiencing issues with the composting dustbin installed in front of your house. The Odor and increase in flies and bugs are understandable concerns. Here are some legal remedies you may want to consider:

1. Contact your local Municipal Corporation (MCD)

The MCD is responsible for enforcing the Solid Waste Management Rules Delhi, which include regulations regarding the proper location and maintenance of composting facilities. You can file a complaint with the MCD detailing the issues you're experiencing, and they should investigate and take appropriate action.

2. Approach the Delhi Pollution Control Committee (DPCC)

The DPCC is responsible for monitoring and controlling air and water pollution in Delhi. You can file a complaint with the DPCC regarding the odor and insect infestation caused by the composting dustbin. They may issue a notice to the society management to rectify the situation.

3. Send a legal notice to the society management

If the MCD and DPCC fail to address your concerns, you can send a legal notice to the society management, highlighting the nuisance caused by the composting dustbin and demanding its relocation or proper maintenance.

4. You can reach out to  District Administration or a subdivisional  Magistrate under Sec 133 crpc for conditional order for removal of nuisance.

5. File a case in the Civil Court

If the society management refuses to take action after receiving the legal notice, you can file a case in the Civil Court seeking an injunction to restrain the society from using the current location for composting and seeking compensation for the inconvenience caused.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register