Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Should a girl change her name after marriage

Page no : 2

vinay (Manager)     14 December 2014

sir

can we change my wifes surname to mine. we had registered our marriage.

she is a gruaduate. As you all mentioned we need reg. certificate and notarised affidavit to effect changes  in all IDs and bank accounts.

What if she gets a job after all this.

All her xth and xii certificated also need to be amended, or we can just attach above certificate and affidavit while applying jobs.

needs clarification in this regards.

guide me please

Ramachandran Vadakkedath (retired)     07 March 2016

I agree that there is no rule of law that a female shoud change her name/ surname after her marriage. However, as regards problems that she might face in future, I have to say that there could be practical problems particularly in a State like Maharashtra where they are obsessed with name change. They are ignorant about the actual legal position and rely heavily on the common customs and practices that they are faciliar with. For example, my daughter who got married recently had approached a State Bank of India branch in Mumbai with all necessary KYC documents. However, the lady officer squarely declined to co operate and was categorical in advising my daughter that she, who is married now, can no longer open a bank account in her maiden name. But of course, if one has the grit and determination to fight against such ignorance, the legal position would support it. 

Amrit (M.D.)     07 March 2016

There is no condition in Law which says that a woman should change her name after marriage. It is upto you and your own personal decision. You will face no hindrance in any govt./private sector.

Amrit Singh

(Guest)

Hi all,

Could you please send me copy of marriage cetificates where the girl has retained her surname or not changed her name at all. 

Please mail @ totkar.nagalambika@gmail.com

Thanks in advance :)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register