Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shiv Kumar (Software Developer)     06 June 2011

Settlement Deed

Hello Advisors,

I am going to help my father out of his debt. In return, he is settling me a property (self earned) via settlement deed. I read from the earlier forums that settlement deed is any time revocable. If I go for a sale deed, I need to pay 8% stamp duty which itself is costly. I don't want to spend that much money to get teh property that in turn belongs to me. I need your advice before deciding of the type of deed.

Learning

4 Replies

Advocate M.Bhadra   06 June 2011

You get the property by way of Deed of Gift which to be executed by your father,accordingly stamp duty cost will less than Sale Deed.

Vigneswaran (Lawyer)     16 July 2011

Dear Shiv kumar 

You dont have to pay 8% of stamp duty since the property is settled between family members and you would be charged only 1% for Stamp Duty and 1% for registration on the value of the property and even that would not exceed 10,000 in case of stamp duty and 2,000 in case of Registration.

Bhuvan (KRT)     17 August 2011

Similar Scenario:

In case of property belonging to Father, who has 4 legal heirs, should we go for:

1. Family settlement among mother and 3 children.

2. Transfer property in the name of mother, and then mother does a gift ( gift deed) for three children.

Which is the better way to settle the property.

Bhuva

Vigneswaran (Lawyer)     28 August 2011

My suggestion would be The father can settle the property to his wife then after the lifetime of the mother it could be settled between the heirs in equal share.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register