LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
The Indian Constitution Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Skhanna   08 December 2015

Schizophrenia checkup and divorce

I was married in 2010. It was very difficult to handle my wife's queries, agression and ways of suspected thoughts even for his parents and my family since we got married. My wife was diagnosed with schizophrenia disorder in 2013. Unfortunately after 2 months She came to know about the hidden medication I was giving her as per doctor's guidance. She stopped taking medicines, and I step back from this plan. We were blessed with baby boy in Aug 2014 but it was again hard time for her to handle baby and normal lifestyle. After crossing all the limits of frustrated nature She started throwing objects and I left the house and called her parents to control her in July 2015. Right now my matter is in CAW cell. As per psychiatric doctor I have submitted a medical disorder petition to metropolitan megistrate to look into this case and help in getting my wife checkup and treatment. However this was rejected with reason of no written prescripttion by Govt doctor. My question is how I should deal with this as I want my wife back and start taking medication after doctor consultation. This will help in maintaining good married life. In CAW cell I already talked to SI and personally asked wife to get check up with psychiatric but She is not ready.


 4 Replies


What is the response from her parents regarding treatment.schizophrenia disorder is entirely a psychological aspect,where in the patient does not act on his/her own.This can be cured by a good psychiatrist taking special attention.All the other members of both the families also should play their part in forcing her for treatment.

Don't think of any legal solutions at this stage.proper counselling too can have a favourable impact on her mental condition for responding to treatment.

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     08 December 2015

1. "As per Psychiatric doctor" - Get a prescripttion from him and submit it before the Magistrate for allowing her to take to the mental hospital for treatment.  If the Magistrate refuses and dismisses your application, then you have to go for revision of his order in Sessions court or High Court.  As a matter of fact, there is one Act "Mental Health Act, 1987",  wherein procedure is laid down in dealing with the people of unsound mind and refering them to the Mental hospital and which requires to be studied thoroughly to give you proper legal advise.


Adv Chandrasekhar,with due apologies,I contradict UR reply.Anything done forcibly on her will further deteriorate her mental imbalance.Police or courts cannot cure a patient.But they have to be dealt in a very delicate manner.On the one side I really appreciate Mr.Khanna for his patience in dealing with his wife and on the other hand i am not satisfied for his post in the public forum.

i think I have have come across a similar query query with the same subject some time back.

Skhanna   08 December 2015

Thanks for positive responses. I have explained the main problem and my active plan which doesn't work after having multiple counselling sessions. Current situation is that my in-laws are not cooperating with me and my wife is no more living with me since last 5 months. She took my baby boy of one year and giving her over doses of medical suspensions. Right now I am facing fake allegations complaint like dowry cheating beating in two different places one at CAW cell where I submitted few proofs to explain main Concern and other at SEM office with 107/151 crpc for which I have requested to I investigate the matter with IO. All sort of polite methods and talks already completed with no positive results. I have to take on decision as advised by Mr. Chandrasekhar because no one is in favour to take my wife for psychiatric consultation. Thanks Satyam

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads


Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query