Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kiran (Consultant)     08 January 2010

Risk of purchase of plot through reigstered GPA

Hi Everyone,

I have a question.  X is the orignal owner of 5 acres of agricultural land in Bangalore. Y enters into a Registered GPA with X to make a layout in the above land by converting into residential, build roads, executing sale deeds in favour of individual buyers etc..

I have purchased one such plot through Y and got a sale deed after registeration as sub registars office.  I am now planning to build a house on it.  So I just wanted to validity of my ownership.  I hence have a few questions -

1) How do I find out of whether the registered GPA has been revoked before I registered the plot in my name.  And in that case, would I lose my ownership of the land

2)  Can I find out if any other persons have been a GPA other than Y for the  property through other GPA registrations.  In case if they do exisit, would it affect the ownership of my property?

Please provide me your valuable suggestions.  They would really be helpful

Thanks,

Kiran

Learning

9 Replies

R.R. KRISHNAA (Legal Manager)     08 January 2010

Answer for Question No.1: Registered GPA's are maintain in Book IV in the respective subregistrar's office.  You  can verify the same and check whether it is cancelled by any revocation deed.  If it is not yet cancelled by any deed then you can rely on the GPA and proceed to buy the land. 

Answer for Question No.2:  There may be not be other GPA holders over the same property.  If you are too cautious, then you can meet the owner (X) and get his confirmation in a letter that there are no other GPA holders for the property other than Y.  You can also get it confirmed from the owner that the GPA is not revoked by him.

I trust this clarifies your query.

1 Like

kranthi kiran (Works In Judicial Department)     08 January 2010

Obtain the encumbrace certificate for the property, and verify it.

Kiran (Consultant)     10 January 2010

Thanks for your answers. Was really helpful. Can I go to the subregistrar office directly or would I need to go through the lawyer, especially with the difficulty a common man is put into in the sub  registrar offices in bangalore. 

(Guest)

Instead of going to the Sub-Registrar's office, you may give an application (in a letter form with Rs.10/- Court Fee stamp affixed on it) under the Right to Information Act and give all the necessary particulars of the Power of Attorney and your Sale Deed with Schedule of your property purchased. You will get the reply you want directly to your doorstep within 30 days. In Tamil Nadu, as per latest rules and procedures, power of attorney registered from last month or so, appears in E.C. but not before that. You may alternatively check in your State, if it appears in E.C. (in Karnataka) you may apply E.C. instead of applying under RTI Act.

Kiran (Consultant)     11 January 2010

Thanks Mr. Gurnarayana Rao.  Infact, I went to subregistar office and they were reluctant to search the files.  So I guess, I will file a RTI.  Do you know where can I get the forms and the relevant procedure to file RTI before a sub registrar office PIO in Bangalore?  Any people who have done in SubReigstrar office in Bangalore can pls let me know your suggestions.

Thanks,

Kiran

(Guest)

Under RTI Act, neither any format nor any cumbersome procedure is prescribed. You shall simply give a letter on white paper addressed to The Information Officer, Sub-Registrar's office, (location), Bangalore-.......... Under the RTI Act, the Sub-Registrar is the Information Officer. You may either deliver the letter and get an acknowledgment or you may send it by RPAD/SPAD (recommended). The prescribed fee is Rs.10/- which may be either cash/Postal Order/Pay Order or Court Fee Stamp pasted on the face of the letter. You will get a reply within 30 days (certainly). YOU SHOULD PROVIDE ALL THE DETAILS OF YOUR PROPERTY, GPA No., etc., and ask for the present status of the GPA / its status when your property document was registered. You may ask any number of queries in one letter and the Information Officer is bound to answer all your questions. Wish you Good Luck!

1 Like

Kiran (Consultant)     11 January 2010

Thanks Mr Gurnunarayana for the prompt responses.  This info is really helpful. 

Anand K (Student)     03 May 2016

Hi All,

I Am planning to buy property in mysore. Land in the name of Mr. X & given GPA to Person Mr. Y.... This GPA is registered in sub resister office. I haven'e spoken to original owner.

So should i go ahead & buy this property. When i called my lawyer he said get all doc. will check in sub register office whether GPA is still valid (not revoked) & no multiple GPA issued on same property. Also Original owner should not be dead. 

Here my question is: When Govt has issued rule that no property registration should be done on the basis of GPA then how sub resister office people can do property registration based on GPA?????

Anand K (Student)     03 May 2016

Hi All, I Am planning to buy property in mysore. Land in the name of Mr. X & given GPA to Person Mr. Y.... This GPA is registered in sub resister office. I haven'e spoken to original owner. So should i go ahead and buy this property. When i called my lawyer he said get all doc. will check in sub register office whether GPA is still valid (not revoked) & no multiple GPA issued on same property. Also Original owner should not be dead. Here my question is: When Govt has issued rule that no property registration should be done on the basis of GPA then how sub resister office people can do property registration based on GPA?????

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register