LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Right to speedy trial and the accused's right of fair trial

Qualitative difference between the right to speedy trial and the accused’s right of fair trial

‘Speedy trial’ and ‘fair trial’ to a person accused of a crime are integral part of Article 21. There is, however, qualitative difference between the right to speedy trial and the accused’s right of fair trial. Unlike the accused’s right of fair trial, deprivation of the right to speedy trial does not per se prejudice the accused in defending himself. The right to speedy trial is in its very nature  relative. It depends upon diverse circumstances. Each case of delay in conclusion of a criminal  trial has to be seen in the facts and circumstances of such case. Mere lapse of several years since  the commencement of prosecution by itself may not justify the discontinuance of prosecution or  dismissal of indictment. The factors concerning the accused’s right to speedy trial have to be  weighed vis-a-vis the impact of the crime on society and the confidence of the people in judicial  system. Speedy trial secures rights to an accused but it does not preclude the rights of public justice. The nature and gravity of crime, persons involved, social impact and societal needs must be weighed along with the rig

Learning

1 Replies

Saurabh..V (Law Consultant)     25 January 2013

@Author

No offence but I differ from your views.

Speedy trial as enshrined in the Article 21 of Constitution of India should be seen as equal to that of Fair Trial. To me importance of both has no difference and in fact, any delay in a trial, unless not created by the accused himself/herself, should be seen as miscarriage of justice.

I've myself observed many cases where the complainant falsely implicate one persons, and then dissappear from the trial. This pushes the trial to many years whereas it could have completed within few months. Such delays should entitle the accused discontinuance of prosecution or  dismissal of indictment.

//peace

/Saurabh..V

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register