Right of plaintiff to cross examine the defendant himself

Respected Sir,

I am the plaintiff in one of the case. I know general practice in the law to cross examine the opposite party is by the lawyer. 

I would like to know if there is any provision in the law and I can take the permission to cross examine the defendant at least for one of the issue.

Can such permission be taken from the Court and how?

Thanks and Regards,

Sandeep

case has a procedure to follow and the party will be cross-examined when first chief-examination is done. under section 313 of CRPC accused is cross-examined.

Lawyer

It is right of the plaintiff to cross-examine the defendant when the defendant enters witness box for deposition.

Ms, Nitika Jain,

The query of the author (plaintiff) pertains to a civil suit where plaintiff wants to know plaintiff's right to cross-examine the defendant, where provision of Section 313 Cr PC do not attract. 

Thanks & Best wishes

Advocate

yes the plaintiff can ...I do stand with Expert Vashista ji points.

CEO

The plaintiff can examine the opposite party only if he is appearing in person. He can not if he has appointed an advocate to appear for him. 

Total likes : 1 times

plaintiff has right to cross examine any person who testified under the oath to support the claim of the defendants. But of the plaintiff has already appointed attorney the cross examination cannot be conducted by him in person.

Advocate

Yes, in a civil proceeding, the party there to is entitled to cross-examine the witness if he is appearing in person. However, if an advocate is engaged, only the advocate can.

Thanks everyone,

I understand.  

In this case lawyer is appointed. Still if there is any provision in the law to get the permission of the court to cross examine the defendant for at least one portion in the presence of the lawyer. Rest can be done by the appointed lawyer. 

Thanks once again to clarify.

Thankyou, DR. J C vashista for correcting me and letting know the right information.
I am sorry for my wrong information above.

LEAVE A REPLY

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Search Forum

Menu

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
Muslim Personal Law     |    x