Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Geetha Gupta (Director)     06 February 2018

Relinquishment deed validity after death

Hi everybody,

My cousin, Vijay, a Hindu male, died without leaving a will about six years. He is survived by his wife, 1 son, 1 daughter and his mother.

The mother, Mrs. Aruna, relinquished her share in Vijay’s assets in the name of his wife.

Mrs.Aruna’s share of movable property in Vijay’s movable assets got transferred to his wife.

Now Vijay had 2 immovable properties. Mrs. Aruna’s share in one of the property got transferred to his wife. But a problem occurred in the second.

This problem arose because the place where the second property was situated was a notified area and the govt/municipality banned all transfers in that area. No sale or purchase of property is allowed there, so much so, that even this transfer on death of Vijay could not go through. This property continues to remain in the name of the dead Vijay till date.

Now Mrs. Aruna passed away last week, willing all her assets, movable and immovable, to her other son, Krishna.

The question is – will the mother’s share in her predeceased son’s assets, which could not be transferred to his wife, devolve on this surviving son in the second property where the transfer could not take place ? Or is the relinquishment deed given by Mrs. Aruna still valid after her death and her share in the predeceased son's asset goes to the wife?

Thanking you all in advance

Regards,

Geetha

Learning

2 Replies

Geetha Gupta (Director)     09 February 2018

Hi everybody,

CAn someone please answer this question ?

Regards,

Geetha

Geetha Gupta (Director)     09 February 2018

Hi everybody,

Just realised - Since some property has been transferred, it is obvious that the relinquishment deed has been registered. And registered relinquishment deed is irrevocable. 

So , i think, i can conclude that the relinquishment deed will be valid even after death and asstes which could not be transferred earlier will be transferred whenever the municipality allows transfers in that area.

Can someone confirm?

Regards,

Geetha

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register