FLAT 20% OFF and 3-Months ADDED Validity on All Courses Absolutely FREE! Enroll Now Use Code: INDIA20
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Farhan Sheikh (student)     11 August 2016

Registration of adoption deed for passport



One of my friend is adopted and adoption deed has been executed in Surat, Gujarat in 1994. Nowadays she resides in Pune,Maharashtra and all of her documents are having an address of Gujarat. 

She applied for the passport but passport authorities told her to submit registered copy of adoption deed. My question is, can the adoption deed notarized in Gujarat in 1994 be registered in Pune now?


 4 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     11 August 2016

No. as  the adoption deed was  executed in 1994, now it cannot be registered.  

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     15 August 2016

Registration of adoption is not mandatory if it is done according to  Hindu law,.. According to Hindu Law If Dutta Homam is performed and in front of datta homam the bilogical parents of the child who i s15 years or below is given in adoption and to be adopted parents have taken in  adoption by a simple adoption  document or deed. It is not required to be registered. But registered deed is always safe as witnesses may lie but documents do not.

ANAMIKA VICHARE (LAWYER)     15 August 2016

In fact, for adoption,deed isnot vaLID.   You hAVE TO GET Decree of Adoption from Civil Judge of the concerned jursdiction then only you will getPassport and the abroad facilities for the child


jasmin18   26 August 2017

hi , my female friend has been adopted a female girl in 1977 that time she made notary adoption deed (both are hindu and same cast,nearest family members ). adopted girl chid age was 8 and female who adopted age was 18. is it valid adoption. the notary adoption document is valid for any legal procedure.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query