Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Refused dowry, magistrate beats up would-be wife

Page no : 2

Renuka Gupta ( Gender Researcher )     05 December 2010

Dear Roshni,

I am surprised that you took my post as personal attack on me. The BABA reference if you read carefully is directed at people at large who are appreciating Baba's efforts and not at you at all. At least this was not my intention. 

Of course, you did not insult women, I never meant it. Please read it again. It is said in the context, the modus operandi of getting women married off by begging--it is an insult to women and womanhood, not by you and perhaps Baba also did not do what actually he is doing, but it still remains an insult--the very act of begging for marrying daughters and sisters off. 

So please remove this impression that I am out to personally attack you. I will never do it. You and me and others are discussing issues and expressing opinions, we may agree on so many things, we may not agree on some or many issues--but personal respect for each other what keeps us in interaction with one another. 

However, my apologies if something in my reply gave you the impression and thereby hurt you, without myself intending it, that my posting was a personal reply to you. In some past thread also I have written about the discrimination a girl child faces in her own home in terms of making her own choices,  property rights and having full agency( decision making power)  of her life....do read my reply in the same light.

Had I not respected your feelings, I would not have spend time to explain myself...so please take it as a sincere explanation from me..

Cheers

1 Like

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     05 December 2010

Convincing parents of girls are very difficult; progress is there but with snail pace. They go by the prevailing system of the society, which makes the marriage of especially girls a mandatory duty. Also no body wishes to keep young unmarried girls at their home for social and security reasons. Even most parents do not allow their young daughters to go out of the home, even for higher education. It is the compulsion under which a parent marries his daughter to an aged person; sometimes to save the dowry, wish to marry them to a wealthy/renowned house for the sake of benefits. I have came across many such incidence, in one of then one wealthy person having five daughters, married his 18 yr old daughter to around 40 yr divorcee (who had left/divorced his wife since they do not had issue) boy since he was engineer and belonged to wealthy family. Some wish to be associated with big houses and marries (rather trade or make them sacrificial goat) their daughters to any kind of boy whether he aged or handicap.

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     07 December 2010

why not such parents be punished under some law.

1 Like

Tarun Thakur (advocate)     12 December 2010

I think the matter is something else. i do not feel that JMFC would demand Rupees one lakhs only.. Without hearing the otherside, to form an opinion , is in itself is againt the rules of natural justice.. The JMFC might be demanding dowry , but the possibility of something different matter from which dispute arose cannot be ruled out.. So in my opinion, let the full facts of the case be put forward and then all my friends calculate about the innocency or corruptness... Thanks everyone for reading this..
3 Like

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     12 December 2010

" A 19 year old girl being marrying off to a 30 years old Judge!!  It was not a marriage by choice that one can overlook the age factor. "

MS. RENUKA,

WHAT SHOULD BE THE RIGHT DIFFRENCE ACCORDING TO YOU?

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     12 December 2010

Without hearing the otherside, to form an opinion , is in itself is againt the rules of natural justice.

- RIGHT.

BUT THIS SCOPE UNAVAILABLE HERE.

ACTUALLY WE (LCI MEMBERS) ARE NOT JUDGE. THEREFORE, HEARING EX PERTY DO NOT CREATE ANY PROBLEM. ONLY CONCIOUS BITING IS THERE.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register