Recovery of money from borker-mumbai, cheque bounce

working professional


I was residing in a flat on rent in Mumbai and had paid 1 lakh deposit and brokerage.I left the flat after 3 months and had to run here and there, sometimes to broker and sometimes to owner to get my deposit back. Somehow, from the overall settlement amount of 79,000(excluding rent for a month etc.), i got 65000 from owner and was yet to get 14000, from borker. Broker after 2 months, gave me a cheque, that bounced. That cheque was of February, 2015. Broker said that he will pay the money soon. He gave several dates, that on this date he will give the money. Finally, now he has stopped to pick up the call.

Hence, finally, i haven't got my 14000. Is there anything, that i can do against broker based on that cheque? If i send a notice, will that be of any use? Please help.



If the validity period of the cheque is not yet over,  you present the cheque again in the Bank. If the cheque bounces  again, within 15 days you send a notice to the broker to pay you the amount within 15 days and that otherwise you will be initiating action against him under Section:138 of the Negotiable Instrument Act. If he still does not pay file a complaint before the Magistrate's Court having territorial jurisdiction over your bank in which you presented the cheque.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
CrPC MASTERCLASS!     |    x