LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Common Man (Occupation)     22 July 2020

Reconnection of electricity

Dear Lawyers,

Landord disconnected electricity of a portion of house where a person is residing. Can the electricity be reconnected by the person staying in a house who is not a tenant or a lease holder but paying the current bills?

Thank You


 6 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     23 July 2020

What is the reason for disconnection of electricity of occupant ?

Whether the landlord has issued any notice regarding his intention to disconnect the electricity?

What is the status of the possesser of property if s/he is not a tenant ?


Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     24 July 2020

You did not respond to the relevant questions raised, implies you are not interested in obligation of experts.

1 Like

Common Man (Occupation)     24 July 2020

Dear Lawyers,

Firstly I would like to apologise for delay in reply due to work constraints. The occupant is a brother of the landlord and the property is in the name of the latter and the former was asked to vacate after the demise of their parents. The occupant locked himself up in the said portion of house in the absence of the landlord and ever since then the electricity bill is being paid by the occupant but the name in the bill is of landlord's. So the query is can the occupant get back the electricity connection now ? If yes, what are the things needed as the occupant has no documents except for a case filed by his mother in civil court which has no stand and there is no court order in their (Occupant's) favour.

Aniket Giri (ADVOCATE)     24 July 2020

Electricity being an essential amenity cannot be disconnected, and if the owner does so it is because he wants too forcefully evict the occupant therefrom. Apply for new electricity connection. However, if new connection is denied, then further information would be required as how the person is in possession of the property, for advising further to take recourse to law.

Common Man (Occupation)     24 July 2020

Dear Sir,

The occupant is an own brother of the landlord. As you rightly said, they both are staying in the same house in different portions. The property was gifted to the landlord duly registered by his father during his lifetime. The case filed by the occupant's mother is based on a will claimed to be written by her husband which is not registered and that too after gifting the property by him (Landlord's father). Therefore, though the civil case is pending, there is no status quo or injunction or any other order given by the court in their favour. Now, the plaintiff (ocuupant's mother) also expired recently. What can be done from the occupant's side to restore the electricity connection because there are no documents in his favour to apply for a new connection?

Common Man (Occupation)     25 July 2020

Respected Lawyers,

The occupant is from Telangana currently residing in Andhra Pradesh where the dispute is. Awaiting for a resolution as soon as possible from you all since the occupant is now living in the said portion without electricity.

Thanks in Advance

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query