Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ajay (member)     24 May 2012

Can a couple stay in a hotel without marriage?

Hello members, I am new here and I am starting the forum with this question- Can a couple (18+) stay in a hotel  without marriage?

What to do if after taking room someone threatening that they will inform to police.

According to my knowledge, live-in-relation is allowed by supreme court and adult couple can stay together whether it is a hotel, home, or rented house.

What is your opinion?

Learning

8 Replies

Ramesh Shahare (Asstt. Manager, Legal)     24 May 2012

There is no bar for any couple to stay in a hotel together whether married or not. Only you will be required to produce original photo ID to the hotel. They will keep a scanned copy of the ID and shall return U the original. S R Kumar

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     24 May 2012

can be stayed. It is better to follow the advise of Ramesh.

Rajeev Kumar (Lawyer/Advocate)     24 May 2012

Yes they can stay,there is no bar.

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     25 May 2012

* According to my knowledge, live-in-relation is allowed by supreme court and adult couple can stay together whether it is a hotel, home, or rented house.

-: Yes you are correct; live in by adults are legal, with the following correction.

* Can a couple (18+) stay in a hotel without marriage?

-: Yes; with a little correction, the lady must not be a married one but the male, may or may not be.

* What to do if after taking room someone threatening that they will inform to police.

-: Everyone has the right to inform police whenever he/she saw/witnessed an offence, what is there? Here question is whether you are doing an offence? If no, then ignore the so called threat.

-: The problem comes from another side; the hotel management afraid that the case might be a case of prostitution, which is illegal (renting premises for this purpose). To resist it they sometimes refuse to accommodate the couple. Therefore sufficient identity proof, age proof, residence proof and your job proof should be along with you and your partner. Some dalal type people took interest for snatching money from the couple, ignore them.

Enrique (Sir)     20 April 2013

Hii i want to ask a question, as Arup said,some hotels deny giving room to unmarried couples,as it can be related to prostitution .So he gave suggestion of having valid ID proof for unmarried couple,so having that also can be related to prostituion,as prostitute can be any girl,and moreover any love bird will never want to their parents to know about this therefore the police can extort money from them out of their moral weakness

R.K Nanda (Advocate)     06 May 2013

they can stay.

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     23 May 2013

I agree with arup. Unless you do some illegal work, there is no problem. A boss of a company can stay in a hotel (same room) with his Secretary. What is the objection the police can raise. They want only clarification that she is his secretary or not. 

greice (greice)     27 May 2013

As far as I konw,there is no bar on this issue.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register