Query regarding tan


My previous employer has not deducted tax for 2 months for previous fiscal year(2010-2011), as I joinned the company in between the fiscal year. I got the form 16 in which TAN number is mentioned.


I just wanted to know can I use the same TAN number while paying the remaining tax online or do I need to create a new TAN number ?

Please suggest.


Thanks in advance,



The balance needs to be paid using your PAN number as self assessment tax.



Yes, as stated by Mr.A. V. Vishal, you have to use your PAN number not TAN. Generally nowadays the issue of Form 16 or Form 16A has been dispensed with. All taxes paid and TDS are posted in TIN in Form 26AS. The assessing officer can take it from Form 26AS. But if you had not given to your employer your PAN he would not have been able to post it in your name and your payment will not appear in TIN. In such cases the assessing officer can take it from the central records. But he will require TAN of the deductor etc. The required details will be available in form 16A issued by your employer. You have to copy them at the appropriate place in the return form.


Never use Employers TAN for your voluntarily Tax Payment. To quote TAN means credit goes to the previous employer.To Pay via 280 Challan and use your personal correct PAN for remaining tax


You don't state employer's TAN in your tax payment chalan. But you can always mention it in your return form at the cells provided for TDS details. In fact there is a column for deductor's  TAN.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
Forensics & Evidence     |    x