LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Guest (n/a)     17 May 2010

Public suggestions invited for Amendments to Rape Laws

A High Powered Committee was set up to examine the issues relating to review of Rape Laws, under the Chairmanship of Union Home Secretary. The Committee has formulated the draft “Criminal Law(Amendment) Bill, 2010”, incorporating the points agreed at the meetings of the High Powered Committee. The said draft Bill is attached below. Comments/suggestions of the public were invited on the draft Bill by 15th May, 2010; which may be sent to Shri K.C. Jain, Joint Secretary(C&PG), Ministry of Home Affairs, North Block, New Delhi-110 001, by post or at the jscpg-mha@nic.in

Learning

10 Replies

Siddharth Mehta (Student)     17 May 2010

After having studied the proposed amendments in the rape laws i can safely conclude that they are insufficient and  the loopholes in the Indian Penal Code shall continue to be exploited by the Rapists..For instance why isnt there a death sentence for rape.I believe a rapist has no right to live as he is a danger to the society and can't be reformed..

It has recently been witnessed that courts hesitate in awarding death sentence even in the most brutal and  shocking rape and murder cases...The  government should enact laws that act as a atrict detterent.

Saurabh Bansal (Tax Consultant)     17 May 2010

Good Mr. Prabhakar,

great observation

Siddharth Mehta (Student)     18 May 2010

@goodboy   gr8 work by u..kindly post d email id of all ppl mentioned above so all of us can shoot d same email..This will strengthen your point..

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     18 May 2010

Let me study first.

Justice for all (Legal)     31 May 2010

Good reasoning Mr. Prabhakar.  Death sentence is NO answer. Moreover, the rate of conviction, in this eventuality, will also fall as more strict evidence will be required. 

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     03 June 2010

Have we failed as a civilized society in implementing the rule of law? Look around and you will find that there is a de jure govt but non-functional. 

We have to be irrationally rational. Why can't flogging be introduced for s*x related crimes? Let us hear from learned friends about the kind of punishment awarded by Vikramaditya and Jehangir for various crimes?

Amrit Dubey (student)     17 February 2011

In my views raising the consent age will not solve the problem, but it may only increase the rate of crime as most of the s*x crime is commited below the age of 18 years.

Amrit Dubey (student)     19 February 2011

Yet after 60 years of independence our law Commission is not competent enough to give its own recommendations..as we have drafted our constitution by the method of CUT/COPY/PASTE..from various other constitutions in the same way this recommendation is copy paste from Canadian Criminal Law and Wesaustralian penal code.. so it can be done by even a 1st year law student or a laymen who have just some knowledege of law.. Then why so hefty amount is being spent by our country on such commissions who are incompetent to even give there words or even to write in there own langauage which they are copying... i would jus like to say even copying needs brain bt what to say of our commission...

kaushik bose (lawyer)     14 April 2011

it is very obvious that death sentence is not alway a remedy .but after observation of  the circumistances of the different situations death sentence may be the perfect punishment.so there should be the provision of both the punishment as 7year life imprisonment or death sentence

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register