Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

RajeshKumar (Retired)     04 December 2014

Prison death - sudden cardiac arrest

Hi, I am from Hyderabad, India. 

One of my family member was convicted under ACB case in high court and sentenced to 1 year in jail. We appealed in supreme court and applied for bail on medical grounds. 

He was in prison for about a month and died of sudden cardiac arrest. He is 66 yrs old and was a very healthy person without any medical issues before he was sent to prison. He does Yoga and walks at least 5 kms each day. He continued doing this even he was inside the prison.

Some of the facts that we learned after this incident

1. There were only 4 doctors for about 2000 or so inmates. 

2. There is no medical equipment to treat prisoners with in the prison.

3. For any emergency with in the prison, the authorities send the inmates to the government hospital which is about 1 hour drive.

4. There was a PIL filed in high court by someone concerning large no of deaths few weeks back before this incident. The high court asked the prison to appointment more doctors. Initially there was only one doctor and after PIL there are 4 of them.

For sudden cardiac arrest there should be immediate medical treatment like CPR and use of Defibrillator. If the first aid is done correctly there is 90% chance the patient can be saved. 

Our family member collapsed without any symptoms and there was no first aid provided for him. He was sent to the hospital and it took about 1.5 hours to get to the hospital and was declared dead. He would have been saved if immediate medical attention was given to him like CPR and use of Defibrillator. 

My family is devastated  with the loss and is under lot of pain. I cannot describe in words what my family is going through and feeling very guilty there was nothing we could do. 

We are surprised to learn there is no medical care provided with in the prison such as regular doctor visits, BP check up etc etc. There were also large no of deaths of happening within the prison (as per PIL) and there were no additional measures taken by the prison authorities.  He was also a Sr Citizen and we learned that he was not put in a Sr Citizen block. 

We would like to get justice and responsible punished. Also this should not be repeated for anyone else in future. 

What can we do to fight this legally in the court of law? Under what provisions of law can we file a petition? Please advise. 

Learning

7 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     04 December 2014

You can file your grievance in human rights commission for compensation from the govt. on the ground that failure of services from the govt. side.

RajeshKumar (Retired)     05 December 2014

State human rights commission or central human rights commission? Does human rights commission have legal authority to pass a judgement?

Also what needs to done so that responsible is punished?

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     08 December 2014

If you feel aggrieved against any particular individual employed in the prison for the cause of death of your relative, you can rope him alone as a respondent if not the superintendent of prison can be made as respondent and the government as second respondent for the proposed  Human rights violation case which may be filed in the State Human Rights Commission of your state.

RajeshKumar (Retired)     11 December 2014

Thank you so much for your replies. Is the best to contact human rights or file a petition in the court of law? 

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     11 December 2014

This appears to be violation of human rights as per your belief, hence a complaint with the State Human Rights Commission will be a better choice.

1 Like

RajeshKumar (Retired)     14 December 2014

I have sent a RTI application requesting some information from Jail authorities. It has been more than 30 says and it is not replied.

Who do I contact to take further action? Please be specific in providing your answer as this is my first time and I am not familiar with the process. 

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     14 December 2014

For information under RTI act, you may have to wait for a stipulated period for a reply then you have to make first appeal to  the higher officer of the same department after which you can approach the IO with second appeal

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register