Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Santhosh Kumar M (Consultant)     25 January 2013

Payment of dues

Hello Sir,

I was offered a job in the IT firm - Datamatics Technologies from 24th Dec 2012. I was supposed to join the client location in Pune (client was IBM, Pune). I had reached Pune and was put up in a hotel here and Datamatics informed me that I'll be told when I have to report the client company. All the expenses were said to be borne by me which would be reimbursed later by Datamatics. Till now there was no response even though I called Datamatics on regular basis. During this time, I was told that I would be paid for my time as per my CTC mentioned in the offer letter. Today (25th Jan 2013), the HR from Datamatics called me and informed me that my services wont be required and that I can look for other options. They wont be reimbursing anything for my time and stay in Pune. Can you please suggest me the legal action against this company? The company has head office in Mumbai and I'll be moving to Bangalore for looking out for other career options. The CTC offered to me was 7.5 lakhs per annum. The notice period mentioned in the offer letter  was 45 days. Should I lodge the complaint in Mumbai. Datamatics has office in Bangalore and I was dealing the HR from Banaglore even though the company headquarters in Mumbai.

Please suggest. 

Learning

10 Replies

Kumar sanja (employee)     25 January 2013

if anything pertaing to pre joining time is given in the agreement, then you can approach HR of datamatic for reimbursement, if not since you are not appointed by them you have no claim

Regards,

I have the offer letter from Datamatics where my joining date is 24th Dec 2012. Am I not entitled my salary from then onwards? Its a 2 page joining letter with salary structure, There is no question of pre joining time since I've joined the company from 24th Dec till now,

Kumar sanja (employee)     25 January 2013

did you sign on the appointment letter? if yes then you have a case else 

did you entered in Letter of intetent, then attach the file

Regards,

Ravi

Yes. I had signed the offer letter and gave it to them. What is letter of intetent ? The company had sent me the company id card which is a photo id card with Employee #

Kumar Doab (FIN)     25 January 2013

Mr. Ravi has furthered the discussion and has given valuable advice. Kindly follow it.

If you were recruited to be placed at Bangalore as per your appointment letter you can agitate at Bangalore. However you may show all of your docs and details to a competent and experienced labor consultant/service lawyer and give inputs in person and proceed under expert advice of your lawyer.

It is felt that your employer had recruited you for some demand pertaining to IBM Pune, and it might have been cancelled and HR of your employer left you in lurch.

The conduct of your employer is certainly bad and can be termed as unfair, unprofessional, unlawful, illegal….

Do you have the copies of job advertisement, job application, interview call letter, letter confirming selection/ offer letter, joining report, { you have the appointment letter}, communication to report at IBM Pune, entitlements/allowances  for boarding and lodging, advance/imprested cash, arrangements if any made by the company, and orders to claim the expenses for refund etc.., original tickets {to and fro}, hotel bills, bills of  phone calls made by you, copies of emails/letters etc if any made by you…

Employee should record such phone calls and keep evidence/witness.

If you feel it is workable and worth doing it you may do so now.

You may narrate the series of events, starting from job advertisement to joining and orders to report at IBM Pune and orders to leave Pune { mention names/designation, dept., address of the employees of Datamatics Banglore, phone numbers with date of each call made by you and received by you with brief minutes of discussion}, in your gentle representation addressed to good offices of your appointing authority, MD, Chairman, Company Secretary and conclude that you arrived at Pune as per orders of the company dated….thru Mr/Ms…… designation, dept., address and left Pune as per orders of Mr/Ms…… designation, dept., address…

You may list each expense incurred by you/entitlement as per CTC sheet, and to be paid by company to you.

You may conclude that you are being coerced to consider that your services are not required effective dated…..without supplying you any communication in writing to this effect, and request the good offices to intervene and provide relief and mention that your address for communication is as already in company records and given below again.

You may mention that a postage prepaid { as purchased from PO} self addressed  envelope bearing postage stamps of Rs…..is enclosed herewith for sending the reply and your payouts by Bank DD only thru redg. post only, so as to reach you in next 7 days. You may affirm that you have not resigned from the company but you have been……{say duped/cheated/taken for a ride…..} and conduct of the officials of the company has been bad and condemnable/worth criticizing.

You may attach a list of payables by the company to you including notice pay as per its contractual obligation.

The good offices should get a proper feel that other employees/candidates can conclude that company is violator of its contractual obligations.

Yu may request to allow you to examine your personnel file, and grant you an appointment, in writing by redg. post.

If you resign out of frustration the HR of the company shall be pleased to adjust notice pay and square off your dues.

Your employment has been terminated by a verbal order.

If you wish to join any other company you may submit another representation to god offices and affirm again that good offices have stood by the decision of the company terminating your services issued by verbal orders.

If you are called to attend some meeting in office you may keep a witness and record the meeting {audio/visual. Mobile is useful.} and keep evidence and meeting.

You have to be smart enough to steer the meeting in your favor. Do your home work.

--The state of Karnataka has ended the blanket exemption granted to IT companies from the IESO Act and all companies were expected to frame certified standing orders within 6 months. Till standing orders are certified model standing orders shall apply {attached}.

The service condition in the standing orders can not be negated by appointment letter. You may go thru:

13.                Termination of employment

15.  Complaints

16.  Certificate on termination of service

17. Liability of 17[employer

18.  Exhibition of standing orders

You may apply to DLC Bangalore for a copy of certified standing orders of the company.

The IT companies are covered by SE Act {attached}.

SE Act also does not allow such conduct of the company.

Go thru clause 6A,17,18,21,29,34,39….

If the company makes false entries in its registers and records it can be prosecuted and penalized. If you lodge complaint with Inspector you can ask for copies of record thru RTI also from Inspector. Frame your complaint carefully to suit your interest.

You can find the addresses of DLC, o/o Labor commissioner, SE Inspectorate at Dept. of Labor website of Karnataka.

--The designation alone does not decide employee is a workman or not.

Your lawyer may ask you a set of structured questions and may opine that you are within the definition of a workman. Your lawyer may even opine that you can lodge a criminal complaint. The labor laws applicable to a workman limit the choice to employer.

In a given situation employee can invoke the clauses of ID Act, SE Act, IESO Act, Payment of Wages Act……as per explanation of employee under these enactments, approach o/o Labor commissioner or agitate in civil court.

The company may yield to your representations or legal notice of your lawyer or you may have to agitate in appropriate forum.

The union for IT employees may help you.

IT/BPO Voice of India | Facebook
The Indian Headquarters at Bangalore

Prithviraj Lekkad - President, UNITES Professionals India
Karthik Shekhar - General Secretary, UNITES Professionals India
#6/2, 1st Main, Next to Kodava Samaj, Vasanthnagar, Bangalore - 560 052
Phone: + 91 - 80 - 2235 5959 . 4123 5499
Email: contact@unitespro.org / unitesprofessionals@gmail.com

Bangalore
N R Hegde - Regional Director, UNIDOC Karnataka
#6/2, 1st Main, Next to Kodava Samaj, Vasanthnagar, Bangalore - 560 052
Phone: + 91 - 80 - 2235 5959 . 4123 5499
Email: unidocbangalore@gmail.com / nr.hegde@unitespro.org

Left/CITU has also stressed upon the need of UNION for IT employees.

You may go thru the attachments

Attached File : 189209528 karntaka now applicability%20of%20standing%20order%20to%20it%20industries.doc, 189209528 karnataka shops and commercial establishment act.pdf, 189209528 model%20standing%20orders.doc downloaded: 149 times

Kumar Doab (FIN)     25 January 2013

Attached;

Attached File : 189209528 union and it sector real-time-chap-03.pdf downloaded: 79 times

Santhosh Kumar M (Consultant)     27 January 2013

Thanks for your valuable response.

I'm intending to meet the senior management regarding this and would probably mail them for a amaicable solution. If this does not happen I'll plan to proceed as you had adviced. Can I CC my mails to UNITES/UNIDOC when corresponding to my employers?

Kumar Doab (FIN)     27 January 2013

It is good that you are trying for an amicable solution and you are meeting the management or they have agreed to meet you.

You have posted that company had issued you offer letter and CTC sheet.

Is it an offer letter or appointment letter? Have you accepted the offer letter and submitted the signed copy to company? The company based on your acceptance issued you the joining orders at a location PUNE and thus you should be able to claim that you have been appointed in the company and invoke the provisions of ID Act.

However let your lawyer make a final comment on this. You may show all docs and records to your lawyer and language in the docs shall matter. The offer/appointment letter/contract of employment should not violate the directions and provisions of the SE Act applicable to your company.

You may attach the docs in this thread however erase the names etc to maintain the confidentiality.

The SE Act is already attached in this thread and employer should have issued the appointment letter as per directions in the act and should have processed your salary. There is clause on claim of wages in the act and you may go thru it.

It is felt that:

- first of all you may become a member of the union.

Before you meet the management you may meet the union and assess the merits you have and the support you can garner form unions.

--it shall be worth meeting a smart lawyer and to understand what do you already have what would you need.

-Do your home work and plan how you would steer the discussion.

-Decide if some trade union leader/representative or some witness should be with you.

-Record the meeting {audio/visual. Keep the evidence and witness.} for use at appropriate time and in appropriate forum.

After the meeting you may submit minutes of discussion.

To send the copies to union is your call and as per situation you may decide.

If the IESO Act is now applicable and your lawyer opines that you are within the definition of a workman then a union can also represent you.

If the matter is decided to your satisfaction during the meeting then it is best option.

If the matter lands up in a court of law you would need convincing and clinching evidence.

If you have made phone calls from prepaid mobile phone visit the nearest office of the company and submit request for last 3 month’s bills. Obtain and retain the detail of all phone calls made by you and narrate the detail of all calls{ with brief minutes of discussion}. Claim refund.

You may go thru another similar thread initiated by another employee:

Discussion > Labour & Service Law > Employment > Revoked my job offer

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/details.asp?mod_id=73948&offset=1#.UQTsoTfZ1JI

There seems to a trend to leave the employees to lurch by such unscrupulous employers.

All of the affected employees may unite and proceed against such employees.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register