Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Lord (Consultant)     26 August 2014

Parttion deed/suit: guidance requested

Dear Sir/Madam

Kindly assist.  I am a victim of a cruel dysfunctional family in India.

Brief background & summary:

My father died in 2010 without leaving a will or any legal procedure for his 2 storied self-acquired house in India, leaving behind 3 legal heirs, myself, the daughter, my mother and my brother. Mother and brother live in father’s house in India. Because of the nature of my job I am required to live abroad most of the time in a year.  

I could not live in that house when I went back permanently in 2010 due to the unbearable and ceaseless mental torture and ill-treatment from brother and his wife. They have been misbehaving for last 15 years with me as they simply wanted to make it impossible for me to survive in my father’s house. I do not have a family of my own. Brother has arranged to live downstairs with his wife and kid, occupying much more than 1/3rd of the entire property while widowed mother live upstairs and I share upstairs with her when I am in India. Exit entrance is common. Tried to amicably arrange for respectful independent arrangement with separate exit entrance for my and brother. He rejected all my suggestions and requests and he is aggressively controlling the whole show.   There is a back entrance exit which he refuses to use with some stories and is not allowing me to make my own separate exit entrance at the front of the house saying that will damage the house. But they are secretly planning to construct another room in the ground floor unused back portion sometime later, without consulting me or taking my approval, assuming I am also an equal co-parcenor in the house with equal share and equal rights as him. He & his wife is very abusive, aggressive, mean, extremely unkind and rude to me.

No legal partition has occurred yet.

Recently I came to know that as per current living arrangement he has kind of agreed to make a family partition deed legally separating top and ground floor,– top in my name and entire ground floor in his name which is Ok with me , (except that he cannot construct another room in a land that is outside the walls of the rooms he is currently using at the same time, prohibiting my freedom to make another exit entrance at the front and disagreeing to use the existing back entrance after some renovations) but not agreeing to separate entrance arrangement for some reason.

Questions:

1. 1.       Mother gave me a gift deed in 2010 saying she is giving me 1/3rd of her undivided share of first floor based on current living condition, plus with my own 1/3rd share, I get 2/3rd of the property – the gift deed is registered. Is this deed valid and can be used to my favor?
  2. 2.       Should I go ahead and agree with the floor partition (minus the exit entrance issues), if yes, kindly recommend what all should be included in the deed in order to make it a document without any encumbrances
  3. 3.       Do 3 of us need to sign the partition document or just me and brother saying mother will continue to live upstairs till her end?
  4. 4.       Does the partition agreement deed need to be registered
  5. 5.       How can I apply for separate title of the first floor in my name
  6. 6.       Can I file a partition suit thereafter, praying for separate and independent access to the house and approximately how long will such case take?
  7. 7.       This would be a civil case so do I need to attend hearings? That will be very tough as I am not in India most of the time
  8. 8.       Can he construct a room in the empty unused garden space downstairs without my approval – if they do, what measures can I take
  9. 9.       How else can he harm me?
  10. .   Anything else I need to do or be aware of?

I will really appreciate your kindest help and guidance as I am being treated terribly and living with acute mental agonies, suffering and fear.

Kindly let me know if you have any questions in order to advise!

Thanks & Warm Regards

Ms. Faith.

Learning

3 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     26 August 2014

Too long a query, engage a local lawyer

Biswanath Roy (Advocate)     28 August 2014

Q.1. Yes Gift Deed is valid and can be used in your favor.

Q.2.  Yes you can go ahead and can agree with the floor partition but for recommendations to include protective recitals you may take help of a local prudent civil lawyer who can draft it taking your consent

Q.3. Partition Deed is to be signed by 3 owners.

Q.4.  Yes Partition Deed must be registered.

Q. 5.  Mutation after registration of the Partition Deed  shall register your name as absolute owner of the first floor of the property.

Q. 6.  Yes you can.

Q. 7.   In a civil case your POA holder can represent you and act on your behalf.

Q.  8.   if in the Partition Deed you mention Garden space as common place neither of the party can grab it.

q.  9.  If any body wants to do any harm he can do so therefore recitals are to be made in such a manner so that neither of the party can get a scope or chance for doing any mischief. 

Q. 10.  Some protective clauses are needed to be set out to prevent possible disputes and dissensions for the future.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     30 August 2014

I agree with senior learned advocate respect Mr. Biswanath Roy sir fully. In fact you were properly advised on the same query earlier too. Hence do not repeat the query in a separate thread, so that you do not get misguided by contrary opinions.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register