LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manoj   31 December 2016

Over deducting of tds by deductor

I am a central govt pensioner whose employer is a pvt bank as PDA which has deducted TDS over and above the entitlement despite submitting proof savings. What is the recourse for that? I am not reemployed anywhere now and my pension is my only source of income.


 8 Replies

praveen kumar (ao)     31 December 2016

Dear Sir,

As per your calculation the TDS deducted is more by the deductor.

It is suggested to file your income tax return online by registering yourself on the and filing an e-return. Here, you can hope to get the refund in short period of time.





Kumar Doab (FIN)     31 December 2016

Claim refund.

Write to BM of the bank under proper acknowledgment.

Let them reply whatever they want.

1 Like

Manoj   01 January 2017

Thank You Sir, I have already initiated the action. It is not the BM of the bank but the CPPC, a back office which calculates such taxes.

Thank you once again,



Mr. Kumar Doab, as usual in several other cases also, has wrongly advised you. Neither BM nor the CPPC has the authority to make refund of the amount of Income Tax recovered, if excess recovered as TDS. Only the concerned Assessment Officer of the IT Department can refund you the excess amoutn deducted as TDS.

However, Shri Praveen Kumar has advised you correctly to file your income tax return online by registering yourself on the and filing an e-return to get refund of excess deducted TDS.



Manoj   02 January 2017

Dear Mr Dhingra,

I totally agree with you that refund will be processed by AO, IT which I have been getting eventually. However, how about the loss of income & interest if the DDO has overdeducted? IT does compensate you for this.

As far as Para 2 is concerned, I have been efiling since FYE 14.

Warm Regards,


Dear Manoj,

Your point is valid, so far as the loss of income & interest is concerned. But, jurisdiction wise only AO IT can process for refund. About over deduction that being a separate administrative issue, not connected with the refund, you can only approach to the vigilance for making investigation and getting disciplinary action taken by the competent authority for intentional harassment, as there is no provision in rules for payment of interest on over deduction of TDS by the DDO/PDA.

So, if liked, you may take up appropriately with the vigilance department of the concerned organisation.

However, if the case relates to the current assessment year, the over deducted amount of TDS can be adjusted with the balance of tax due to be recovered in the payments due to be made in the months of January and February 2017. In that case, you may approach the PDA and insist him to get necessary adjustments before it is too late.


1 Like

Manoj   02 January 2017

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your valuable guidance.

Warm Regards,




You are welcome, Manoj.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query