New LIVE Course: Learn the Practical Nuances of IPR Drafting by Adv. Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

yogesh (will tell you later)     26 July 2008

Opinion Regarding Service matter

I need an opinion regarding the following

I f an individual is working on adhoc basis in an autonomous institute(under the Ministry) for more than 10 years without artificial breaks and hs crossed the age limits (30 years) .Can an organisation/institute terminate his services against the regular appointment?

His term and conditions were that his services were purely on adhoc basis and the body cn terminate the services ith out assigning any reasons and his period of adhoc tenure will not bestow  an individual to claim any seniroity

Can such individual seeks redressal against the pporpriate body (Hon'ble High court) of appropriate jurisdiction for enforcement of relief with the plea that he/she has devoteed more than 10 yers of his/her life in an orgnisation and the Opposite Party/ respondent has utilised the services for more than 10 years and it is not appropriate for any body to terminate the services especially at such stage when all the opprtunities for an individual has closed and he/she has no option except such relief?

Please also inform hether such individul can also approach in the front of court even when his/her services are not terminated but for such relief that he/she need to be regularised because of fear of being terminated at later stage?
Please inform hat type of civil writ will be most appropriate for such individual?

Can he also seek interim relief such as stay on his/her adhoc expiration till the pendency of such suit?

Can he also seek relief for claiming seniority from the day one till he/she joins the organisation?

Please give infomtion on the case laws dceided by Hon'ble high court and Supreme court of India?


 6 Replies

ESTHERPRIYA (Practising Advocate)     26 July 2008

Hi Yogesh,

Your case is regarding the issue of service matters which are purely covered by the internal management and it is goverened by rules, bye laws and relevant act that governs the institution or organisation and the relevant government G.O. issued are also to be read along with it. These are to read to know whether the person who sped 10 years of time in the organisation can be regularised or else he is an outsider to the organisation has to be first revealed out. Then alone you can claim against the organisation and then you have a very good case.

Any way writ jurisdiction is availabe as the concerned person's right to livelihood and other aspects are hit by the organisation. But it is arguable matter and the grant of an order is purely discretionary and it vests with the court to decide in your favour. If can i will quote cases laws in this point at a later date as i am not aware now in this point


Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     28 July 2008

He can approach High court & submit a writ under article 226.

Vikram Chandra (Advocate)     28 July 2008

Dear Yogesh,

      I accept what padmapriya says in her advise and you have an option to file a writ under 226 as said by ramachary, as the institution is an autonomous one under Ministry. Further, as far as the pending employment issue is concerned, the individual cannot invoke 226 under only an apprehension. What I feel unless there is any action from the employer terminating the services of an individual which is prima-facie illegal, arbitrary and against the principles of natural justice then the writ remedy lies.


ARVIND KUMAR (LAWYER)     29 July 2008

The services of your client is in the nature of ad-hoc not in the nature contractual. so please go ahead with the termination rules and regulations under Govt. service. Before Termination the one months notice required, opportunity of hearing to defend should be given, otherwise principles natural justice violated. One thing more your client served upto about 10 years without any break this will be one of the important ground to challenge the termination order. some Judgment of apex court as well as High court are favouring your case. so try to approach High court and challenge termination order certainly your client will get relief.


you can search a reported Judgment in UPLBEc 1999 under the head of termination.


The appointment at the initial stage is objective not subjective after passing 10 years in service it can not be revoke without any rhyme and reason.


also search uplbec 2006. under head termination.

Please writ me detail regarding grounds of  termination of your client. So that I help you.

Binod Kumar Mishra (Government Service)     11 September 2009

Dear Yogesh jee,


Arvind KUmar jee has rightly said. you may appraoch High Court at Judicature and you will get relief.  since there is a ruling that an ad-hoc employee is required to terminate by the employer after a regular service of 90 days and if your employer want then again he may appoint you after a gap of one day after 90 days.


your case is very strong enough as your employer is a sister concern of a central government department. if you want any further help then please write to me at with total details of your case, may be possible i will be of some help to you.

Vivek Nagrath (Income Tax Officer)     17 August 2012

In case of DPC for a particular Recruitment Year(RY) has taken place and the vacancies arising for that RY has been filled up and panel of officials accordingly so promoted have joined as a consequence to the said DPC. Subsequently the court orders to assign seniority to another official from the back date  with consequential effect and the official due to the said refixation of seniority becomes eigible for promotion in the aforesaid RY. Now under the said circumsatnces since the promotions have been given effect to during the said RY itself then by this promotion from the aforesaid RY - Whether the vacancies for that RY will be taken to be incresed, due to the court order, to be adjusted in subsequent RYs, if it is so, is there any court ruling, or through a review DPC for that RY last person in the original panel will be taken out as excess and shifted to the next RY and so on and so forth.

        This may be explained with the help of an example i.e. there are 20 vacancies available for promotion in a particular cadre in respect of a RY say 2003-04 vide a DPC conducted on say 21.07.2003 the said vacancies are filled and 20 officals are promoted to the higher post. Subsequently in the RY say 2006-07 there comes a court order vide which Mr. A , as directed by the Hon'ble Court, is to be assigned a seniority from the back date with all consequential benefits. As a consequence to the said order and so assigned seniority  Mr. A also becomes eligible for promotion for and during the RY 2003-04. Now the question arises that when Mr. A is given promotion by a review DPC though held in 2006-07 but w.e.f. 21.07.2003 (RY 2003-04) the panel for promotion against the 20 vacancies now stands extended to 21so whether the said 20 vacancies, due to the implementation of the court order, shall be taken to be 21 and the said additional 1 vacancy will be adjusted during the DPC for the ensuing year i.e. 2007-08. Though it is the logical course and if it is so then is there any court decision on the issue or;                                                                                                                                                                                                       by a review DPC  last official in the original panel of RY 2003-04 wil be removed and placed in the panel for next RY 2004-05 and same treatment will be meted out to now last excess official in the panel for 2005-06 and so on and so forth.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads