LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pankaj Yadav   27 August 2018

Obc certificate migrants

My Surname is Yadav(AHIR community)  which comes under OBC in central government. I was born in UP and have birth certificate from there . Since childhood I am leaving in Mumbai and have domicile of Maharashtra.  No one in my family have OBC caste certificate. Now I want to make OBC certificate for myself. Except birth certificate all my documents are from Maharashtra. In such case what is the approach should be used to obtain caste certificate. 

Am I eligible for caste certificate if yes then from which state I should apply.
Is it possible to get a caste certificate from UP even though I don't have domicile of that state and not living there anymore.
Please suggest if anything else needs to be done here.


 5 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     28 August 2018

Contact nearest Tehasildar office at Mumbai and act as per his guidance.  If your caste is recorded in your academic records at Mumbai, since beginning or you have such other valid documents like your father's service certificate etc., this may not be a problem to get such certificate from competent authority.

1 Like

Pankaj Yadav   28 August 2018

Thanks for your reply G.L.N Prasad.

In all my educational docs and leaving certificate caste is not mentioned. 

My father's birth certificate is from mumbai that too after 1967 so I believe its not possible for him to get directly caste certificate.

We do have some property in UP and our names in Gram Panchayat's Kutumb register. Is there any way in my case to get caste certificate.

Note: I am only interested in central  obc quota.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     28 August 2018

First try locally and if not then go to your village and you will certainly get that certificate.  (In India, those who are born in OC are easily getting BC, why not the originals, it is your right).  But, make minimum attempts and do not count stars for simple things.   Proceed immediately.

1 Like

Pankaj Yadav   08 September 2018

I enquired to Mumbai Sethu department , they suggested that we should be having a proof that our family was living in mumbai in 1967. My father's birth year is 1968 and we are not able to find any other document related to my grandfather  before that. So I guess its not possible to make a obc certificate from Mumbai.

I checked in tehsil office of my village in UP , and it is possible to get a caste certificate from them using my birth certificate. My doubt is - is it fine to make certificate from UP using my birth certificate. My caste certificate will be having UP's address and I am holding the domicile/Permanent address from Mumbai. Will this be an issue?

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     08 September 2018

First obtain the possible certificates and validity can be decided later.  Normally it is perfectly valid.  Also ask some one to explain you about applicability of reservations of oen state individuals in Another as ruled by Supreme court subsequent to your post.  (As per my understanding reservation is applicable only in native state alone as per SC Judgment and I am not sure and certain about the exact wording in Judgment)

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register