Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

No Home For Mumbai's Guardians

26/11 Shame: No Home For Mumbai's Guardians

IBNLive.com

COPS REST INSIDE THE GATEWAY OF INDIA

No Home For Mumbai's GuardiansAlmost a year after the Mumbai terror attacks, security personnel guard the Taj Hotel round the clock. However, there are no arrangements for their accommodation. Jawans are forced to use the Gateway of India as their resting place.

Learning

11 Replies

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     20 November 2009

Can I continue with the thread? Here it goes.

Gateway of India's pride is cops' dorm

Bella Jaisinghani, TNN 19 November 2009, 04:42am IST

Text Size:

|

Topics:

·         Gateway Of India

·         SRPF

MUMBAI: Even as elaborate ceremonies are being planned at the Gateway of India to mark a year since the 26/11 terror attacks, Mumbai's signature 

Gateway of India

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/photo/4764554.cms

A year after 26/11, this is the state of Mumbai's iconic monument. It's home to a platoon of 30 State Reserve Police Force jawans who have been entrusted with the job of guarding the nearby Taj Mahal hotel.

landmark has become an unlikely dormitory for policemen who have been assigned to guard the Taj Mahal Palace and Tower. ( Watch Video ) 

Bereft of proper boarding and lodging arrangements, an entire platoon of 30 jawans from the State Reserve Police Force (SRPF) has been living inside the heritage monument. They were assigned the spot by the Colaba police, which governs the jurisdiction of the Taj.

The jawans make up the team that mans four bunkers inside the hotel. Forced to adapt the monument for use as living quarters, they have covered the arches with plastic sheets to keep out the rain and have driven nails into the walls to hang clotheslines. Uniforms, boxer shorts and vests are strung along one wall, framed by a black plastic curtain that covers an arch.

Tourists have yet to be allowed inside the structure even though the Rs 1.9- crore restoration work on the heritage structure has been completed. But as tourists circle the monument, some of them cock a snook at the array of travel bags, plastic bottles, linen and footwear strewn around on the floor. "We do know that it looks messy but we have only one van to call ours, which we use for changing our clothes and travelling,'' said one of the jawans. "If they jeer at us we ask them to refer the matter to our superiors.''

The DIG of the SRPF, Ashok Dongre, says that the task of deploying the jawans is entrusted to the Mumbai police. "Of course, as far as welfare issues like proper food and accommodation facilities are concerned, we will look into them,'' he said.

Likewise, the state department of archaeology and museums which is the custodian of the monument is preparing to despatch a team to the site. "I have instructed my staff to visit the site and report back to me,'' said department director Meena Joshi.

Although the jawans have been living at the Gateway of India for the last two months, the Colaba police, under whose jurisdiction they are serving at present, said this is a temporary arrangement that will be lifted shortly given that the Navy plans a 26/11 commemoration on the site. "In any case, what is the fuss over a string of clothes? The policemen are not causing trouble to anybody, they are in fact protecting the monument,'' said Sr PI Anand Keshav Ingle. "I admit it looks a little shabby but where else do we house a platoon of 30 men with no municipal school or garden nearby?''

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     20 November 2009

Who says Maharashtra Home Minister does not work with the speed of lightning? Read it.

Jawans booted out of Gateway

Bella Jaisinghani I TNN 

Mumbai: Heritage has won, but at a huge cost. 

A little more than 12 hours after TOI reported how SRPF jawans—meant to protect the Taj, which bore the brunt of the 26/11 assault on Mumbai—had been given the Gateway of India as accommodation, cops from Colaba police station moved in and threw the jawans out. Their belongings, too, were thrown onto the sidewalk and the 
jawans were told to spend the night on the road till alternative arrangements could be made.olice 

The police action, termed “insensitive and callous’’ by the jawans and passersby alike, was followed by a visit of state home minister R R Patil. Patil, according to witnesses, was enraged at the treatment meted out to the jawans and ordered tents be provided for them. 

“We were all asked to report to Girgaum police sta
tion earlier in the evening. We merely signed muster and returned, for there was no work to do,’’ a jawan said. “Around 9 pm, once all the television crews who had been filming our plight had packed up and left, we came back to find sub-inspector Sawant of the Gateway police chowky ordering the local peddlers to bundle our belongings into our van. We protested but they asked us to manage on the footpath tonight while they look into the matter.’’ 

Squatting on the bare pavement to eat dinner around 9.30 pm, the jawans painted a sorry picture of a system seeking fig-leaf cover for its negligence. “Was it our fault that we had been given the Gateway to live in? We also know that it is an important heritage structure and one of Mumbai’s iconic buildings,’’ an enraged jawan said. “We never wanted to stay here in the first place but shouldn’t we have been given alternative accommodation before 
being thrown out like this? Is this what we get for serving the country?’’ he asked. 

The jawans also alleged that they had been made to provide security for a private film shooting earlier in the day, which was being done by a senior official’s daughter. 

Colaba senior inspector Anand Ingle was unavailable for comment. However, an official said the jawans were “comfortably housed in the Gateway chowky’’ and would be attended to on Friday.

Raj Kumar Makkad (Adv P & H High Court Chandigarh)     21 November 2009

this is unfortunate state  of affars for whole country. why are we tolerating our ruling bosses?

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     21 November 2009

Because we still believe that they are our "bosses". Men of two tuppence have become our bosses! What are they? I am forced to repeat: This is what they are:

Power will go to the hands of rascals, rogues and freebooters. All Indian leaders will be of low caliber and men of straw. They will have sweet tongues and silly hearts. They will fight among themselves for power and India will be lost in political squabbles.

(Guest)

Sir all the time why people are blamming Ministers in India. They are uneducated fools. Just put that IGP or DGP infront of Taj Mahal Hotel and serve that Officer Break Fast, Lunch and Dinner and provide a bed to rest for that day. These Government top officials in India are Rascals, Rogues and Chamchas for the leaders.

It is shame to the man who is looking after Home Minitery protecting his life with 50 Commandos day and night and treating them like animals. 

(Guest)

Well said MK Gandhi ji.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     24 November 2009

Delhi was being rocked by Bomb blasts all over the place. The Home Minister would visit one place, go back, have a bath change the dress and then go to another place of bombing. Within a space of 1 hours, he changed his dress thrice. These third rate men are ruling us.

(Guest)

It might be told by his adviser. Who is a Government Civil Servant. In India Ministers are uneducated no use to blame them. They are innocent Jockers of our Great nation.

Are they ignorant and uneducated? A true story.

As a junior officer in Central Government, I had no occasion to interact with the Minister; we were kept at an arm's length. Perhaps we were unworthy of our presence before them. Once my senior officer (regretfully he was as ignorant as the Minister himself) took me along to the Minister's cabin (well it was a royal room). After all the whys and hows were over, I was taken aback by the million dollar question of the Minister.

Where should I sign?

(Guest)

All Civil Servants are not the same in India. But 99.9% are culprits to bring bad name to that .01% good Civil Servants. Even now you can ask our Sonia Ji she is not a educated women. She says that she passd some english language cource. And this lady want to be our nations leader. Will any educated and well respected Indian will accept? May be she is Late PM's Daughter in law / Wife or future's Prime Minister's mother. But we treat her as uneducated foriegner. Does she have any knowledge to deal with our well educated Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. You give a simple sum or ask some grammer she will run away from India. Our Lalu Prasad is a Lawyer. Not like Madhu Koda.

But all the advises are given by only Civil Servants. You take Mr. Shashi Taroor Well educated worked for UN in America  but what is the use? He behaves like a fool. He is having excess knowledge. 

Knowing as many languages is an advantage but to say that lack of English makes somebody sub-human is belittling him. Six languages Arabic, Chinese, Spanish, English, Russian and French are officially recognised languages of UN. Because the Britain ruled most of the world, English came to be the lingua franca of educated class and administration. Thanks to Lord Macaulay who introduced English in 1833, we became more conversant with this language than the English themselves. When ICS was thrown open to Indians, more Indians topped the list.

Twenty-two languages are included in the VIII Schedule to the Constitution creating the worst kind of chauvinism and parochialism in the country and creation of linguistic States in 1956 by Nehru has opened the floodgate for Balkanization of the country. Now Satraps are ruling the States and the Centre is dependent on them.

Granted that English occupies an important position being an international language and countries like Russia, Japan, China and France, for trade and commerce, have started encouraging their students to learn it.

I hold no brief for Sonia. Let us see the position in reverse. If Sonia can’t hold the mirror to Manmohan Singh, what does this “highly educated” man is doing – Soniaji, Soniaji, Soniaji. Does it behove this servile attitude to his stature?

She is perfect in Machiavellianism  i.e. the art of employment of cunning and duplicity in statecraft or in general conduct and but for her whither Congress?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register