FLAT 20% OFF and 3-Months ADDED Validity on All Courses Absolutely FREE! Enroll Now Use Code: INDIA20
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sheshadri (Software Engineer)     04 January 2013

Name correction in birth certificate

Hi I'm sheshadri,


Respected Sir/Madam,

Can you please clarify my below questions:

1. What is the correct format one should fill name while getting a Birth Certificate.

The problem is that we do not have the fields Surname/Last name in the Birth certificate forms. (Hope government wake up and take appropriate action).

I hail from Andhra Pradesh we write the name as first Surname and then the real name (First name).

My actual problem is that my son's birth certificate has his name as 'Neela Aniketh'

Where Neela is the surname and Aniketh is the first name, whether this is the correct format or not?

Will there will be any problem while getting a passport?

2. Should I go for name correction where I can swap his Surname and  First names.

What is the procedure I need to follow for the name correction?

3. And in my daughter's birth certificate the surname is not included.

Can you please let me know the steps need to be taken to rectify the above stated mistakes.


So please clarify my above queries for which I would be thankful to you all.


Thanks & Regards

Sheshadri Neela


 4 Replies

Advocate.S.A.Siddiq (Advocate)     07 February 2013

name correction in birth certificate is not possible... apply passport with some other school certificates, 

Sheshadri (Software Engineer)     07 February 2013

I think you are wrong Mr. Siddiq, we can make correction in birth certificates. I enquired about it and got solution for it.

We need to approach the local muncipal office and submit a name correction application. We need to have two gazetted officers signatures and need to mention the incorrect name and the correct name you want to have on the birth certificate in the area provided on the application form.  Apart from this I think we need to produce a Rs 20 Notary document for the name change. That's it in 2 or 3 weeks time we will get the new birth certificate.

I have followed the above procedure and got a new birth certificate for my child.

I do not understand for joining the kid in school we need birth certificate and that is the proof school needs, Passport office only accept government issued certificates as proof (Birth certificate, Aadhaar card, Voter ID, Pan Card etc) but not any certificates issued by schools.

Thanks & Regards




Ashok (Engineer)     14 October 2013

Hi Sheshadri,

Can you help me with the documents you gathered for your son's name correction.

I want to do name correction in my Daughter's birth certificate. She was born on Feb2013 and I got her birth certificate on March2013 on an urgency since I have to move out of country.

But Now I want to do some correction in her name spelling based on numerology and get the birth certificate updated with that correct spelling. Her name was registered in Tiruchi Corporation. 

Ashok (Engineer)     14 October 2013

Also to clarify, I dont have her name registered anywhere else such as passport any other documents. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads


Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query