FLAT 20% OFF and 3-Months ADDED Validity on All Courses Absolutely FREE! Enroll Now Use Code: INDIA20
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Payal Sharma (Housewife)     17 January 2011

Mumbai Domicile Certificate


Born,brought up educated in Mumbai. I have all the necessary documents (Ration card, school, college certificates etc.) But I got married and my husband is from J&K. He is residing in Mumbai since the last 8yrs. The current ration card is on his name. I need a dmicile certificate as I'm appearing for CET this year (2011) in february. What is the procedure? Please guide as I have got 10 differnt versions. So still cnfused.


Thanking you in advance


 10 Replies


if you have doubt send a RTI letter to the district collector of your area and you will get proper guidance

kiran 11111 (Executive)     17 January 2011

A person residing in state of Maharashtra for continoues 15 years can get a Domicile certificate. You will have to apply to Revenue Authorities. If you are staying in Island City , then you will have to apply at City Collector Office , that is Old custom house at fort. But you are staying in Suburb , then you will have apply at either Mulund/Andheri/Borivalli Tahsil office depending upon the area where you live.

     You will have to submit ration card,electricity bill/ school leaving certificate. or other dicuments which will substantiate your  claim as resident of maharashtra for continous 15 years.

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     17 January 2011

You need not bother. Make an application to the revenue athority for issue of the domicile certificate. It is issued on the basis of the relevant records i.e Ration card, school certificate,voter ID,address proof  etc.,.If any qury is made ,you may state you are a native of the area where you are put up.

Payal Sharma (Housewife)     17 January 2011

Just to give some more details. I currently stay in Goregaon East (Western Express Highway). Will my husband also have to apply for domicile?

kiran 11111 (Executive)     17 January 2011

Your husband is not eligible to get domicile certificate. As he had just completed 8 years in the state of Maharashtra.

As you stay in Malad/ Goregoan , apply at Borivalli Tahsil Office. You alone can apply if you can prove that you have resided 15 years in Maharashtra.

Payal Sharma (Housewife)     17 January 2011

My old documents are on my maiden name and latest obviously on my married name hence I was suggested by sme lawyers that unless my husband applies for dmicile, I can't apply for a domicile. Is that true? I just want the domicile for Maharasthra CET exam. Will a marriage certificate and all other relevant documents like my birth till date residing proofs be enough for the borivali tehsildar to issue a certificate? Because when you physically go there (tehsildar office) they cme up with their own rules and lot of time gets wasted. hence if I still need professional help, can any lawyer from this site help?

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     18 January 2011

You may visit tahsildar offce and apply for the certificate. Produce the documents  ie. ration card, voter Id, school certrificate as reqired for the purpose. You will get it. Hundreds of such certificates are issued everyday. So instead of raising queries, proceed to tahsildar office where you will find the way.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     18 January 2011

So far to my knowledge there is only one domicile for Indian Citizen and that is Indian Domicile: but for declaration of your domicile from a particular State depends on the practise from State to state but in any case it should not create much difficulty to issue such domicile certificate.The rest has been clarified by members postings.


i think you want nativity certificate

Girish Dalvi (Lecturer)     20 May 2011

I am staying in bhandup, Mumbai since my birth. i had a domicile certificate of Maharashtra which i got in 2002. Now i have applied for MHADA Lottery 2011 in which they have asked for domicile certificate. Do I need to apply for domicile certificate again. if yes how much time usually does it take. thank you.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads


Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query