Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pankaj Rai (Lawyer)     27 July 2008

motor vehicle act

Wheather an unauthorised vehicle like jugad, (maruta) in punjab are covered in motor vehicle act?  If the above vehicles are not insured nor registered in any authority, Is there any claim petition may be filed against state gov. regarding third party claims?


 4 Replies

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     27 July 2008

such vehicles are strictly not covered by the MV Act.  However u can claim direct compensation from the owner of the vehicle.

In my opinion no such claim can be sought from the Government....however its a good moot question.


Only mechanically propelled vehicles are covered under the M.V.Act.  As you said, the said vehicle is not insured with any insurance company.  Hence, you may have to claim damages from the owner of the said offending vehicle under the Law of Torts.  You cannot claim compensation from the Government.

Guest (n/a)     29 July 2008

I had sold a scooter in 1997 about 11 years ago to one of my office collegue , whose present Locational address is unknown to me ,The party who had purchased it did not get it transfered it in its name in the relavent authority , I checked my records there is no copy of transfer paper with me , the scooter is still operational in my name , i got to know of this when a challan for jumping a red light came to me about a year ago, what procedure should i adopt


Dear Mr.Girish,

Thank god, you have received only a challan for jumping signal.  If any accident is caused to the rider of the vehicle,  the person injured in the accident will implead you as party Respondent claiming compensation for the injury/death caused due to the accident, you being the registered owner.  So, to avoid such problems, immediately you have to approach the concerned R.T.A. and intimate him under due acknowledgment about the date of selling the vehicle to your colleague by mentioning his name etc.,   and particularly stating that your colleague informed you that he would get the vehicle transferred in his name and obtained signatures on the transfer letters.  Otherwise you will be facing problems in the event of any unforseen incident.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query