New LIVE Course: Learn the Practical Nuances of IPR Drafting by Adv. Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Arpita Chauhan   15 May 2021

Marriage under hindu marriage act

Respected Members,

If a couple is married under Hindu Marriage Act and after some years of marriage, one of them change their religion, then does the couple have to file for divorce or the marriage will itself become void and under such situation which Marriage Act will have the jurisdiction?


 7 Replies

Sankaranarayanan (Advocate)     16 May 2021

Under the Hindu Marriage Act, Section (13)(1) clause (ii) divorce maybe obtain if the respondent converted from Hindu to other Religion and ceased to be a Hindu.

sneha jaiswal   16 May 2021

Hello, Greetings of the day!
For the query you posted, I would suggest that:
If either of you changes religion then there will not be any impact on your marriage and it may continue with subject to your own understanding, change of religion by one spouse is not change for the other one as it may continue to remain in the same religion.
But if your partner has a problem with the change of your religion then he/she can file for divorce under Section 13(1) clause (2) of the Hindu Marriage Act if he/she converted from Hindu to another religion and ceased to be a Hindu. 
The motive of changing religion also matters. A Hindu male cannot change his religion to have multiple wives, it is illegal. The motive should be pious or honest.
Hope it helps
Sneha Jaiswal

P. Venu (Advocate)     16 May 2021

Yes, in such a situation, marriage in not rendered void but it is voidable at the option of the spouse. 

Venkat N   16 May 2021

To avade husband murder false complaint lodged of harrasment. later on missing complaint. procedure to defend husband?

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     16 May 2021

Yes. Jaiswal advised very well.

1 Like

Pradipta Nath (Advocate)     16 May 2021

The partner need to file divorce.

ganesh ns   17 May 2021

on which Act the Marriage is Solemnized on the Same Act you can come to a Divorce.
in your case, the Marriage was solemnized as per the Hindu Marriage and Divorce Act. Divorce needs to be filed on Hindu Marriage Act only.
changing of Religion is based upon the personal interest of the parties. but marriage is a Social institution and its religion cannot be changed.
best of luck...

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register