Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

swaraj1950 (Doctor)     11 December 2013

Marriage registration

Hi,

I am a Hindu and I am planning to get married in a Gurudwara with my Sikh girlfriend. The marriage will take place in a city which is residence to none of us. I went through some websites and they claim that for registration we need to providence residence proof of the city where we live and the marriage should also happen in the same city. Could you please give a way out on how to get our Gurudwara marriage certificate registered if our marriage takes place in a city where neither of us live?

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

Learning

6 Replies

Divya Jyoti Jaipuriar (Advocate/ 09868002365)     11 December 2013

Its not necessary to register your marriage at the place of marriage. You can get your marriage registered with the Registrar at any other place and particularly at a place where one of you are having a address proof of.

Arvind Singh Chauhan (advocate)     11 December 2013

Rightly advised by Divya Jyoti ji.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     11 December 2013

Yes Jyoti has properly addressed your query

swaraj1950 (Doctor)     11 December 2013

Thank you Divya Jyoti ji and others for your kind reply. If possible, can you please briefly explain the process to do so? Like I mentioned, I will get a certificate from Gurudwara and it is at a place which is residence for none of us. We would like to get it registered in the city of marriage itself.

Thank you again for your help!

Divya Jyoti Jaipuriar (Advocate/ 09868002365)     12 December 2013

Once your marriage is solemnised in Gurudwara, you need to make a joint application to the Registrar of marriages (in most cities, SDM/ ADM of the area is designated as Registrar of marriages). You need to furnish following details:

1. Application form duly signed by both husband and wife. 2. Documentary evidence of date of birth of parties (Matriculation Certificate / Passport / Birth Certificate) 3. Residential proof of husband and wife. At least one of the parties should reside in the jurisdiction of Registrar. 4.Affidavit by both the parties stating place and date of marriage, date of birth, marital status at the time of marriage and nationality. 5.Passport size photographs of both the parties and one marriage photograph. 6.Marriage invitation card, if available. 7. If marriage was solemnized in a religious place, a certificate from the priest is required who solemnized the marriage. 8.Affirmation that the parties are not related to each other within the prohibited degree of relationship as per Hindu Marriage Act or Special Marriage Act as the case may be. 9.Attested copy of divorce decree/order in case of a divorcee and death certificate of spouse in case of widow/widower. 10. In case one of the parties belong to other than Hindu, Budhist, Jain and Sikh religions, a conversion certificate from the priest who solemnized the marriage (in case of Hindu Marriage Act). 11. In case one of the parties is a foreign national, no objection certificate/marital Status certificate from the concerned embassy. 12. Applicable application fee. (All documents/ photographs may be required to be attested by Gazetted Officer.)

Once you make the application, the Registrar will verify the documents and give you a date for registration. On the given date, both the parties and a witness who attended the marriage will be required to sign the register in front of the Registrar. The witness will also be required to furnish his identification document. Thereafter, the Registrar will issue the marriage certificate on the same day.

1 Like

kushal.ashok@gmail.com (Student)     17 April 2014

Hi All

As mentioned by Divya Jyoti, we are often asked for a NOC from the embassy in case one of the parties is a foreign national. At such instances, the embassy official usually asks for a letter from a family member. So what should be the course of actions in case of love marriages?

If the family member is not ready to sign the NOC, does that mean the marriage can not get registered without his/her consent?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register